Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ship has landed - 60 boxes to be inspected!

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    There shouldn't be a single thing in any of those boxes that requires fumigating - it's all spotless.

I put my back out three weeks before the movers arrived, so had friends and family round constantly helping me with scrubbing, cleaning, disinfecting and repainting stuff - after all the huge effort that went in, I can't believe we get targeted like this.
    You're forgetting the bit where I said don't take it personally!! They don't know it's spotless or that you put your back out and you're not being targeted. MAF is just doing its job is all. Annoying for you though!

I really don't get what's up with gym equipment - since when did that cause a potential threat to agriculture?

Hence I feel a bit targeted - it's not on the dodgy list is it?

its sports equipment and potentially could of been outside yes I had 40+ boxes inspected as although I grouped things together not everything would go in the same box, so items were spread accross many, we scrubbed bikes and shoes etc and stated this but MAf still want to be sure!

How much did it cost you?

Hi April,
    Your'e confusing two things there...
    The amount of boxes has some effect on the cost BUT the fact that they're going to inspect the boxes doesn't mean that they're going to fumigate all of them. They just go through the packing list and tick every box that has any words like sports, shoes, camping, pets, food, Christmas ornaments, tools etc in the label and mark EVERYTHING containing these for inspection. As someone said, they don't know whether it's really clean until they take a look, and they can't take a look until the container is actually opened by the movers.

When they actually inspect these boxes, that's when the cleaning and scrubbing pays off as if everything is clean in the stuff in the boxes will not be fumigated/cleaned (or confiscated and destroyed) and the bill is lower. Inspecting is NOT the same as fumigating/cleaning. I think MAF inspected 63 of our boxes: everything labeled tools was checked (hubby's got engineering tools), all shoe boxes and camping equipment was checked etc. and they only cleaned the christmas tree stand as it had a tiny bit of resin on it. The inspection cost was something around 240 NZD if I remember correctly. Part of it was a fixed charge for an inspection, part of it was about the number of inspected boxes (I think they had price categories like 1-30 boxes X dollars, 30-60 Y dollars, 60-100 Z dollars) and then there was an extra charge for the cleaning.

Thanks - that gives me hope after paying $300 for an inspection of a small plastic crate you could put under your bed! They didn't even open it but just smashed the contents - that's why I was worried, not confused, just been conned/lied to once already by MAF.

We had 46 of the packages inspected on arrival (and the car!) The boxes cost us over $700 for the inspection, but this was in line for cost for that number of boxes in our quote. All 46 packages had been opened in some way (some not fully) and our biggest tent was taken out its bag (and has still not been put back in...it came in another cardboard box when delivered!)This has just reminded me that I should really check it. The number of packages did not surprise me, given we had numerous tents/bikes/garden furniture/tools etc.

I was phoned by MAF as they did the inspection as the only thing they found was a lichen covered nativity scene in the Christmas decorations which we had totally forgotten about. I told them to throw it out (it was very small).

There were no additional charges, eventhough they took my garden table away to hoover. (I had thought it was clean but it summer as we left and as we cleaned insects out more kept appearing!)

I figured that the MAF costs were worth it, given the hassles I would have had to sell it all on ebay and replace it....I reckon that would have cost more.

Thanks mamee - feeling a little more resigned to it now.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files...-regs-2010.pdf

For anyone else who needs a rough idea of costs - this link gives the fees for inspecting boxes as well as any treatment required thereafter.

Thought it was worth mentioning that the 60 boxes to be inspected suddenly turned into 45 yesterday evening - after I told the moving company that I would be attending the inspection!

Funny that!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast