Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Container estimates and an update on our move

Default Container estimates and an update on our move

We had estimates in from Crown, Allied Pickfords and NZ Van Lines (who partnerned with GB Liners)

NZ Van Liners had arranged for quotes from Robinsons and GB Liners. Robinsons were slow to arrange visits. GB Liners seemed well informed, responsive and efficient.

Allied Pickfords were quick to respond, thorough and professional.

Crown seemed too busy and submitted an estimate without a visit as they were not able to call for about 3 weeks after my initial request.

Basically we've gone with Allied Pickfords because they came in much cheaper (at least £600) than Crown and the NZ Van Line/GB Liner quotes. Feedback from the experience of others on this forum helped inform too.

So door to door with Allied Pickford packing and unwrapping everything into a 20foot container is £3,680.

UPDATES ON OUR MOVE

• We have flights booked with Air NZ Getting the 9.05pm (N38) on Sat 8th Jan from LHR
    • We got Residence Skilled Migrant Visa through a month or so ago

• We left it too late to get a good consecutive booking in a nice aprtment or bach but we do now have accommodation booked for the first three months 4weeks B&B in hotel
      • 3 nights break in B&B in Greytown (when Wellingto Rugby 7s is on and hotels are so expensive!)
      • 4 nights hotel room only
      • then a flexible 6+ weeks in a small bach with broadband!
    • Today we heard we have exchanged contract on our house sale
    • We've applied to open a current and saving a/c with KiwiBank Migrant Banking

Feels brilliant having got so much booked/arranged/sorted ... just got to declutter 30 years of married life belongings, work out what they want and get stuff to our two sons, work out how to say goodbye without having to have a big 'farewell' party.

Gonna be a memorable Christmas - maybe it'll be a White Christmas this year!

Great news. Interesting about Crown as they are supposed to be coming round to quote for us this week... Also that price seems about the same as was typical a year ago, so no big hikes.

Nice one on the house too.

yes I thought £3.6k was decent value

we are so lucky selling the house - as people say all it takes is one buyer
    and that's all we had!

just got to get one son (25yrs) sorted out with somewhere to live!

Quote Originally Posted by themilkybarkid View Post
    just got to get one son (25yrs) sorted out with somewhere to live!

Have you told him you're moving to NZ yet?

I've been too busy to tell him but I was thinking of starting a new thread to get ideas how and when to break the news!

Ouch...

'Step forward all those with somewhere to live on January 31st - stand still, son!'

"You know that I'm always telling you what to do whilst you're living under my roof. Well good news, I'm not going to be doing that any more".

Quote Originally Posted by themilkybarkid View Post
    I've been too busy to tell him but I was thinking of starting a new thread to get ideas how and when to break the news!
    was only kiddin' - he has known about our move to NZ since I got the job in August!

... but he still needs to find himself a flat, and time is indeed running out!

Great news TheMilkyBarKid. All the best with your move

It all sounds like its coming together well. Congrats and warm wishes for all thats to come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast