Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet Magpie???

Question Pet Magpie???

I have plenty of animals but I still really NEED a pet magpie. I am, in fact, DYING to get one!

I understand that the farther south the origin of the magpie, the better the song. Auckland magpies are supposed to barely warble while the Dunedin magpies have a long lovely song. I don't know if this is true or just a kiwi making a joke??? Any observations from around the country?
    Our Chch magpies warble a nice little song that I love!!

Anyway, I have attempted to buy a couple on Trade Me but someone always gets them first!!!

The baby magpie season is closing soon.

Does anybody know where I can get a pet (baby) magpie??????????

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    I have plenty of animals but I still really NEED a pet magpie. I am, in fact, DYING to get one!

I understand that the farther south the origin of the magpie, the better the song. Auckland magpies are supposed to barely warble while the Dunedin magpies have a long lovely song. I don't know if this is true or just a kiwi making a joke??? Any observations from around the country?
    Our Chch magpies warble a nice little song that I love!!

Anyway, I have attempted to buy a couple on Trade Me but someone always gets them first!!!

The baby magpie season is closing soon.

Does anybody know where I can get a pet (baby) magpie??????????
    I can't help you with this quest, but I'm now afraid of moving to Canterbury

My sweetheart is *already* animal mad, and with you nearby for encouragement, we'd shortly be running the NZ Zoo!

I know it's Australia- rather than NZ-related, but I can't resist relating. The first time we heard an Australian raven, we nearly fell over laughing. Not knowing any better, we called it a 'Santa Crow'. And for the next 5 months, everywhere we camped, dinners were attended by black birds looking hungrily at our food and calling out raspily:

"Ho-Ho-Ho.......!"

Zeke

Zeke
    I am thrilled to have you guys move to Canterbury! You can come visit our little petting zoo and milk goats and play with chickens!
    I will save you a lot of time by telling you all I have learned in the years I have been here!!

I have Jersey cows, beef cows (fat chance they will ever be eaten--they are going to be bred), chickens, sheep, dairy goats, guinea pigs and several hundred thousand bees!!!!

Soon to come: pet magpie and standard poodle puppy(ours died at move time)

Possible: kune kune pig (pet--I don't eat pork)

Still deciding: horse for DD or donkey (b/c they are awesome) or both

I guess I like animals!

Oh, and now I want a Santa Crow too!!!

No one????

I can only think of them as being wild birds and not something people keep in cages

How about this one and a tape recording

No one????

My friend and I had two magpies when I was 12. Before we could teach them to talk a neighbor killed them in their cage with a shotgun.

What about one of these? http://www.hbmagpies.co.nz/

Quote Originally Posted by YouMeAndThree View Post
    I can only think of them as being wild birds and not something people keep in cages

How about this one and a tape recording
    It's not going to live in a cage!!!!! And a loving home is sure better than getting shot by a farmer. In case you didn't know, many consider them a pest which is heartbreaking!

My pet magpie will have an open box in the house and will spend it's days outside flying and being free. At night, it will come inside and sleep. It will hang out with us as a pet!!

There isn't a whole lot of internet info on keeping one as a pet so I have been relying on personal stories from several people I know who have kept them as pets in the past.

I am really hoping that my magpie will enjoy a parrot stand in the house and will like to hang out with me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    My friend and I had two magpies when I was 12. Before we could teach them to talk a neighbor killed them in their cage with a shotgun.

I won't let the farmer next door shoot anything around here but rats. I wasn't happy about the rats until I saw one. Bigger than the local cats.
    I am scared of a giant rat!

I won't let the farmer next door shoot anything around here but rats. I wasn't happy about the rats until I saw one. Bigger than the local cats.
    I am scared of a giant rat!
    Then get a couple of Jack Russells instead of the poodle - excellent ratters as they work as a team!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast