Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Six months in

Default Six months in

Yep, time flies when your having, errrrm, when you've emmigrated.

So it's been 6 months since I left a chilly Manchester and arrived in NZ. Straight into work and a few weeks before the winter arrived. Well Summer's now here, so a chance to reflect on what's happened.

Have a car.
    Still have a job.
    Have 2 bikes.
    Have a (rental) place of my own.
    Haven't managed to get my wife over yet.
    Not done much touristy stuff.
    Have started to make some friends through work and the cycling club.

Overall then it still feels temporary, partly as my flat is actually in a complex that has part hotel and part long term flats. And without Jane then it doesn't seem like 'home' yet.

For those that are about to make the move, then I'm eating pretty well on $100 a week which includes sarnie stuff. This equates to the £100 a week we used to spend in the UK for the 2 of us. Simmilar standard of food, and all just bought from the countdown, no trekking around the markets.

Housing - spent some time renting a room until I was settled, and then in the end found a place through someone at work. Deposits are a lot lower than in the Uk, and regulated. Bills work out at $110 a month which includes $50 for the phone and sky.

Work - I can only speak about where I am, but the tales of woe that others have experienced and written about hasn't been something that's been an issue for me. I've found people supportive and interested in new ideas, keen to share knowledge and very hard working. Yes there's down time, such as some morning tea breaks, or Friday PM beers in the fridge, but teh rest of the time then we work hard. Not daft hours, but hard.

Social. That was a bit tricky to start with, and in some ways still is, but that's due to being on my own. But it's improving.

Overall. Glad I made the move? I think so, especially hearing how the UK and my industry has continued to decline since I left. But I'd definately have wanted to do it differerntly. The 3 month visit by Jane was good, but stressful when she had to fly back as you can imagine. In most ways then life in NZ is pretty simmilar to life in the UK. Some things cost a lot, some things don't. It's just they can be in differernt orders. There's idiots and people that annoy me, the boy racers running me off the road when I cycle - same as in teh Uk, just over here they are normally in older cars. Same music, same baseball cap, same plastic body kits, just on a 15 year old nissan and not a 4 year old Saxo. So I don't think that moving over here is the answer to all life's problems. But I think that the less materialistic nature of the place works for me. I find myself yearning for goods less , or being self conscious about my car, clothes, etc. And I'm much more relaxed in day to day life. Not sure exactly why, but it's the truth.

nice one buddy. what's the hold up with the missus?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    So I don't think that moving over here is the answer to all life's problems. But I think that the less materialistic nature of the place works for me. I find myself yearning for goods less , or being self conscious about my car, clothes, etc. And I'm much more relaxed in day to day life. Not sure exactly why, but it's the truth.
    Great post! When I try and explain to people in the states the term that keeps coming to mind is "real" Life seems to be more real here. There is not the constant pressure to beat the Jones' and I completely agree with the "less materialistic" statement.

I find that part quite nice about living here.

Vic - house sale in the uk. Or rather lack of. However, the 'good news' is that I think she's about to be made redundant, which means that there's no point her being in the UK so I think she's going to be here at the start of January. Been a hard week not being there to support her through the stress of the week, and it's mixed blessings. Great for her to be here, not so good on the financial side, but something will happen. Indeed there's a few things in the offing and if only one of them comes through we're fine. If all 3 come through then that would be very very good.

i remember how hard and consuming it was when mrs v was in the uk keeping in touch

Hope that the latest cloud has a silver lining Duncan, hopefully a triplicate one! Then you will feel so much more at home and be able to start your new life properly as it is difficult when you are torn in two. I could not believe it when I saw that you were at 6 months as it scarcely seems that long ago, then I realised that we have been here 5 months by next weekend!

Look forward to hearing the next stage of your news..you are doing a great job of holding it all together at a distance.

Crikes cant believe it's six months , where does the time go ?

Anyhow's good post Duncan and hope you and Jane are soon reunited

Default Renting

Would you consider renting your property out?
    We are also struggling to sell our house and are currently weighing up the pros and cons of renting...... Just wondered if its something you've considered?

Congratulations on your 6 months, I hope your wife can be with you soon..

All the best, Duncan. Well done for what you've accomplished, and good luck for Jane and house silver linings.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast