Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few Landlord (property manager) issues.

My current landlord is the owner managing his own rental. My neighbor across the street drunkenly demolished my brick pillar of a mailbox by running it over with his car. Judging by the pieces of bricks now meters away from where they used to be, it was a good thing that the mailbox was blocking my neighbor's attempt to park inside my house, through the wall. We called the landlord right away and he told us the guilty neighbor already contacted him and will pay for all damages.

Days went by... my husband put a plastic box on the stump of bricks since the mailman wouldn't deliver mail otherwise.

Weeks went by... I looked out our front window during a windy storm and saw our makeshift box flying around. I was able to catch up to it at the end of the block. I reinstanted our box and weighed it down with the broken bricks still strew across our lawn. I also caught a cold.

Months went by... right after we told him we're moving, a bricklayer showed up and fixed our mailbox.

I rented this house for 14 months now. 4 of those months I didn't have a mailbox. Point of the story? Property managers are much quicker to fix things. Any issues I had with my previous property managers were taken care of within 3 days. Second point of the story? Beware of drunk drivers. The one that reduced a thick pillar of bricks into a pile or rubble sped off.

Some property managers are great. Some are not.
    Some owners are wonderful and easy to deal with--some are not.

That is why there is a Residential Tenancy Act--to make clear everyone's rights and responsibilities.

Just know your rights!! It is amazing how easy to read and clear the RTA is and it will save you HEAPS of grief to know it before you try to deal with renting.

Well I returned from work today to find an email in my inbox requesting my presence in a meeting at the real estate office next Monday or Tuesday. No other comment on my email just called for a meeting.

Why do I feel like a naughty school child who has been called to the principles office?

I've made the decision that I'm not going to take any time off work to do this if they want to meet with me they will have to do so at a time which is covenant for me. I'm a little worried about what is going to happen though and I can't find anyone to come with me. I don't want to go alone eek!!

Any suggestions on what I should go armed with are very welcome.

I think you should ask the Tenancy people you've been talking to what THEY think you should do about this. I also think that you should have a record of the meeting, either by taking a witness (even if it's not somebody you know well - a colleague? a neighbour?), or by recording the conversation (telling them you're doing so).

First thing I would do is contact the property manager and tell her the time does not suit you and get her to set a mutually agreeable time. That is very rude to "summons" someone to your office without consulting their schedule==she is not a court!!!

I would print out a copy of the RTA to use as reference during the meeting.

I would highlight the parts that pertain to the issues in dispute.

I would take a copy of my tenancy agreement.

I would get the 0800 TENANCY advice--type it up and be sure to get the person's name. Be armed with this as well.

I would take a witness as suggested by JandM.

And then just walk in and present your side with the expectation that it will all be resolved satisfactorily. If it is not worked out, I would request to speak to the property owner or I would go to the Tenancy Tribunal--it's only $20 to file. I found that the judge is pretty tough on the landlord--as they have a lot of responsibilities. But the key is to be prepared!

I would take copious notes on the interactions in the meeting--during the meeting and then afterward, I would write down everything you can remember in a narrative.

No matter what is going on (and if it seems resolved) I would still keep dates, notes and other documentation just in case it does go to court down the road.

Good luck!! And don't be scared!!

What city are you in?

Thanks JandM and GG that is great advice and has helped a lot. The meeting is a 445 next Tuesday and I've scheduled my flat mate and possibly her mother (for the older more experienced view) to come along with. I shall make sure I go prepared and take as many notes as possible.

I'm In Auckland although might have to move far far away if this all goes wrong hehe.

http://www.dbh.govt.nz/tenancy-index
    did u check on this website. I hope it helps.

Good luck, Margarita!!

Wishing you luck in the meeting - go in knowing you're in the right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12