Thread: West coast cycling

Default West coast cycling

Hi all,
    We are cycling the west coast of SI commencing 27th Dec and would love to know if anyone may fancy joining us for a day or two. O/H is more than a bit concerned about his capability of completing this but have tried to reassure him that all will be ok and that if necessary we can maybe put the bikes on a bus. Greymouth to Queenstown is from what I remember a wonderful trip but I guess the little thoughts of southerly winds, hungry sandflies and lots of rain may test us to the limit.We have done it by car but I am trying to dumb down Haast Pass!!!! Anyone live down on that coast????

Kind regards

Bilbo Baggins

Sorry, but I'm right over the other side - Doing Tauranga>Gisbourne>Taranga round the east cape and back through the pass. Leaving on 24th, back around the 2nd January. Hoping for some cool, wind free, dry weather.

Well I can hope!

Can'r wait to see your photos/blog of the trip. Definately one I want to do, as all I could think about when driving it in 2008 as getting back to cycle it.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo baggins View Post
    Hi all,
    We are cycling the west coast of SI commencing 27th Dec and would love to know if anyone may fancy joining us for a day or two.
    Where are you starting? We are in Nelson so if you are going to be up this way I am always up for a ride. I doubt that I can sneak away for a ride further down the coast over the holidays though - My OH is likely to put the kibbosh on that, I am already doing a sunrise to sunset ride on the Summer Solstice which puts her on kid duty for the day..

If you are looking for more info about the conditions along the coast, definitely check out CrazyGuyonaBike - there are lots of accounts from those who have done tours all over NZ.

thanks for the info. We are looking forward to it, i think! Just pray for some good weather guys!

I assume you've seen the journals on www.crazyguyonabike.com ?

Doh, just seen above. Sorry

If we were there we would love to join you Have fun x