Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utilities in a rented house

Default Utilities in a rented house

Not too sure how utilities (or electricity, really) work in NZ if you're renting a house and the landlord/agent doesn't cover it. Do I need to sign up with a power company for an account prior to moving in? Will I have electricity if I move in before signing up?

Most rentals in my experience do not include electricity, but some include water - just depends really on the landlord.

Yes you would need to get an account with one of the utility companies, but it will be functioning when you move in already. The landlord will already have an account and then a reading will be taken the day you move in and you should agree that with your landlord. You are then free to sign up with many different companies - call them with the meter number and the reading and they will handle it from there.

Neil

So I can just wait til the agent passes the keys to me, I move in, and then sign up for an account?

I would check with the electicity co you want to use so that there are no delays. You may be able to create your account now & just ring with the meter reading on moving day.

The electricity co may require a bond or that you pay by direct debit - well, that was what I had to do when I was on my WHV, but that was 10 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    The electricity co may require a bond or that you pay by direct debit - well, that was what I had to do when I was on my WHV, but that was 10 years ago!
    The request for a bond depends on your credit history.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    The request for a bond depends on your credit history.
    I believe so & 10 years ago, I didn't have one! No debt, no credit card & no NZ banking history. A lot has changed since then!

Actually if the water is included or not is not the landlords call. In some towns and cities it's included in the rates that the landlord has to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    Actually if the water is included or not is not the landlords call. In some towns and cities it's included in the rates that the landlord has to pay.
    From my understanding (and what I read yesterday) if it's included in the rates then it's the landlords responsibility, if the property is metered then it can be passed on to the tenant. From experiance I've only really ever come across paying for water in Auckland. In Wellington it was all included in the rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarita View Post
    From my understanding (and what I read yesterday) if it's included in the rates then it's the landlords responsibility, if the property is metered then it can be passed on to the tenant. From experiance I've only really ever come across paying for water in Auckland. In Wellington it was all included in the rent.
    Thats what I said! If it's metered like gas or elec. you wouldn't expect the landlord to pay...if it's in the rates which they have to pay...the landlord has to pay it.

I am reading through http://www.meridianenergy.co.nz/NR/r...esidential.pdf for the second time and have no freaking idea which price plan I should take....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast