Thread: Moving to Wellington in Jan! Job advice

Default Moving to Wellington in Jan! Job advice

Hi everybody,

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Windy Welly in January and are now on the job hunt. Very very excited!!!

We've been told by Recruiters, employers, and consultants not to expect any kind of interest until we arrive. How can we convince them to interview us anyway or should we apply and wait until our arrival? Is this response normal??? I heard that January is still the holiday season, and it may be a tough time to find work, so do you know of any companies that would be particularly helpful during this process? Have you had good experiences with agencies or went straight to the companies?

We are American citizens and will be on working holiday visas or visitors visas, depending on approval (my boyfriend may have been a grad student in Singapore for too long to be eligible for working holiday) and we'll have funds to search for at least 3 months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we'd love to meet people in Wellington, so message me if you're a newbie, too!

Hello and welcome.

This thread is relevant to a lot of your questions. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-29234.html

NZ employers are very sceptical about people applying from outside the country because there are so many timewasters who have not researched the practicalities and regulations before expressing an interest. As far as they're concerned, the applicant needs to show some proof of serious intent. HAVE a visa (or at least, have started the process), and/or BE there for them to meet face to face, and you will improve your chances.

Many organizations in NZ close down for the school holiday period (beginning before Christmas and ending late January or early February), or operate with only a skeleton staff. Therefore the senior people responsible for hiring are very unlikely to be available.

If you are on WHVs, do check the kind of job offer you are allowed to take up - many forumites have in fact started in what later became their permanent job while on WHV, but this was only possible because of the co-operation of their employer in how the job was described. Starting a permanent job needs a full Work Permit, and this takes time to acquire. If you enter the country as a visitor, you are allowed to job hunt, but cannot start work unless and until you gain a Work Permit. All the details are on the Immigration NZ website. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/

Default Moving experiences!

Hello there and thank you for the quick reply.

I currently work in a Biotech company in Singapore and have been planning to move to NZ for over 6 months. In October, after a tour of the North Island, my boyfriend and I chose Wellington as the final destination. Love at first sight!

Since we've been in Singapore for years, we wanted to wait for another year to work out the details of moving. We are at 125 and 130 EOI points.

Exactly 4 days after the our visit to NZ, news came out that my research facility will shut down in Singapore. My OH just graduated his Master's, so he hasn't gotten a job here. Completely free. Old plans scratched. Now we're scrambling to do everything at once while trying to secure jobs at the same time.

Dream come true but it's happening at lightning speed! I understand the Kiwi reservations about foreigners and what you've told me solidifies what I've heard, but now it's a matter of figuring out how to make this work...and fast.

Working holiday to work visa seems like the best way to me, but I am more than open to suggestions and/or experience stories.

Quote Originally Posted by mpovari View Post
    I understand the Kiwi reservations about foreigners and what you've told me solidifies what I've heard, but now it's a matter of figuring out how to make this work...and fast.

No - they are no different to any employer. The issue is too many people say they are interested in working in another country without thinking about the visa. Once you are here with a valid visa, employers will be able to see you are keen and able to work.

In fact I find Wellington to be a VERY inclusive place. In my company we have people from all over the world (well over two dozen nationalities). There is absolutely no prejudice at all. My Kiwi mates also have no issue with where you are from.

....so I'm sure you will find it a great place and hopefully find the sort of work you are looking for.

Ah, thank you for the thread.

I didn't finish my sentence and the wrong message came across. I know that NZ employers hire foreigners, and I'm happily aware of that. When I mentioned the reservations, I meant about hiring overseas. That wasn't very clear.

My situation is different because I can't begin work until Jan 1st due to the site severance package and site shut-down. I applied for a working holiday and it's just pending an x-ray (because I've been in Singapore longer than 3 months). I want to know whether to finish and obtain the visa in mid-November or wait until I'm ready to go in mid Dec. Will the visa number be convincing enough to secure an interview upon arrival??? With the WH, you don't receive a work permit until you step foot on New Zealand soil, so it's a bit tricky. I'm also cautious about waiting too long lest everybody takes off for the holidays. Then again, will I have the visa number immediately and can I wait to activate it? How does that work? Am I shooting myself in the foot with going for contract work??? Should we jump straight to the EOIs?

I haven't gotten much help with the High Commission over the phone, so I'm taking off work and bugging them in person tomorrow ::determined:: We certainly can't afford an immigration adviser at this point, so any help online is greatly appreciated. These forums have been amazing!!!

JandM - thank you for the link.

Welcome to the forum. Be prepared for long waits at the NZ High Commission in Singapore, and know that you'll be asking your questions within everyone's ear shot, with the people behind you giving the evil eye and mentally wishing for you to hurry up

You can go ahead and apply for the Working Holiday visa now (if there are spots remaining). You are given 6 months to enter NZ from date of approval, so you are not rushed.

There's no need to rush anyway - employment activities have already slowed down (at least in IT for me). A few months ago I was seeing 10-20 vacancies daily on Seek, and recently it has dwindled down to 5 on a good day.

So take this time to properly plan everything and research the best air fares (Xmas is peak, as you would imagine). When you get there, enjoy the fabulous summer weather and settle down first! At least that's what I'll be doing

I concur regarding the high commission in sg! All questions were asked over a counter with glass panel separating you and the receptionist Lol

I've also noticed that the IT job postings have slowed down over the past 1 week. Hope things will pick up by next year

Thank you for your help, everyone! I received my working holiday visa and am now receiving some interest job-wise. Much appreciated!

That's good news. Good luck!

Default New Topic - The Current Housing Market

Now that the move is imminent...I'm browsing websites, looking for the perfect place in Wellington.

What is the current apartment/house rental market? Are there more vacancies than people? Most recent experiences for people?

From research and reading old threads, I think my boyfriend and I will shoot with a 2 bedroom in Mount Victoria or Wellington Central around $400. Two most important features will be sunlight, a good view, and a well-kept property. A house/townhome is preferred, but we'll see on that.

The problem? A kitten that I recently bought (she's literally the perfect pet), and I refuse to give her up even though Welly is generally leery of pets. That's okay...we'll find something!

But have you found that there's an influx of renters or was that the case in previous years and not now? I want to know if I should start setting up meetings before our arrival or if we can take our time after getting there.

Moving Jan 10th and counting down!