Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: American expat groups??

Lightbulb American expat groups??

I know there is one in Auckland (and Wellington, too I think) but I am hoping that there might be one in Christchurch?

I always end up making the greatest business deals when I run into fellow americans and thought it would be awesome to network more amongst my "own kind"

It's also Thanksgiving and it would be nice to know of others who are spending ridiculous amounts on a bird! $75 for a turkey
    Last edited by GrumpyGoat; 25th November 2010 at 11:27 AM.

tbh, it is the low level hostility towards americans on this forum that has truly illuminated my need for this.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    I know there is one in Auckland (and Wellington, too I think) but I am hoping that there might be one in Christchurch?

I always end up making the greatest business deals when I run into fellow americans and thought it would be awesome to network more amongst my "own kind"

It's also Thanksgiving and it would be nice to know of others who are spending ridiculous amounts on a bird! $75 for a turkey
    Happy Thanksgiving.

?? I'm assuming there was a post deleted. I wondered how long it would be

At college then I always missed the fact that there wasn't an 'englishsoc' as all the overseas students had a chance/excuse to mingle.

If it's a positive group, that sees what opportunities there are, and builds networks, then great. Obviously a bit different to if saying you're ONLY going to network with Americans (which for clarity isn't what you were saying).

Not seen any nation specific expat groups in TGA, but then I've not looked either.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    ?? I'm assuming there was a post deleted. I wondered how long it would be

At college then I always missed the fact that there wasn't an 'englishsoc' as all the overseas students had a chance/excuse to mingle.

If it's a positive group, that sees what opportunities there are, and builds networks, then great. Obviously a bit different to if saying you're ONLY going to network with Americans (which for clarity isn't what you were saying).

Not seen any nation specific expat groups in TGA, but then I've not looked either.
    Sorry--I never made it past the "englishsoc" part--got all distracted thinking of 1984's "Ingsoc"

Happy Thanksgiving GG and all other fellow Americans. $75 for a bird??? And I thought $1.50/lb was criminal. Have a great time folks.

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Gobble, gobble!!

We are having turkey but it is a bit anticlimactic without friends, family, seasonal cues and big sales!

I think we got our turkey (14 pounds) for $6 (US).

Waiting for dad to arrive from NZ. He's currently stuck in SFO. And we have all the seasonal cues, like feet of snow.

Don't know about groups in Chch. But Happy Thanksgiving to all.

And I think we all (except maybe eassae?) can be thankful to be in this beautiful country (even if only to visit).

They don't sell birds by the lb or kg here for some reason.

Chickens are sized 14, 14, 16, 18, etc. Turkeys are generally 24, 26, 28--but are not very large birds--even the largest size. Maybe 6-12 lb birds. They are all frozen too.

And prices for turkeys are generally $50-100 per bird!!! Chickens are $8-25!!!!

I got lucky earlier this year and bought a frozen bird on clearance for $45 and we ate that in a mock Thanksgiving in the middle of winter.

When I complain about prices, it's because they are really shocking!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast