Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buy a Sat Nav in the UK or NZ?

Default Buy a Sat Nav in the UK or NZ?

I need a new Sat Nav -I'll be in NZ in Jan
    should I buy one in the UK or am I better waiting and getting one in NZ?
    what do you think?
    cheers

We had a TomTom in UK and just bought NZ maps for about 40 which worked fine for us on recce. If you only want one for NZ think it would be cheaper in NZ as I guess one bought in UK one will come bundled with UK maps so you will still have to buy NZ maps. Warranties etc would be valid in NZ as well.

Simon

Look at this thread on open source GPS maps.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ht=open+source

I am using them on a Garvin 765T (I got it refurbished for US$149). It came loaded with US maps, so I would have had to buy an NZ map. But these open source ones work great.

Buy in NZ, it will have all NZ settings (maps etc) bundled in. Above thread mentioned by SueDonim has good research & first hand experiences on which one to buy

I relied heavily on my TomTom in the UK and purchased a NZ map for it just before I left. I have honestly only used it about three times in NZ as it is so easy to get around without it. I think it would be more useful in Auckland where there are more streets and one way systems but Wellington, nah, I reckon you won't need it.

many thanks all

I'm in the oterh camp to Cappaccino. I really rely on my Tomtom. Partly as the steering wheel obscures teh speedo in my car, so I use the TomTom to make sure I'm not speeding, but I also like it for showing the road ahead (bends). Route wise, then it's less of an issue, but when you're looking for houses then it makes life a lot easier than the old style map, especially if you're on your own and can then just concnetrate on the dodgy give way rules and not trying to read a map on your lap at the same time.

I have to say do you really think you will need one? I say this because we had one in the UK & as soon as we landed I said lets get one but after a week or two here I found we wouldn't use one as much as I thought. We have a street map of Wellington & one for the NI but the place is so small it's easy to find anywhere with a map

If the TomTom NZ map came with speed camera locations then I might use it However, as most of the speed cameras here are not fixed, I guess that would be impossible.

It comes with speed limit data for all roads. So I just drive to the speed limit wherever I am ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast