Thread: Claiming Work Experience in area of absolute skill shortage

Default Claiming Work Experience in area of absolute skill shortage

Hi,

I am planning to submit my EOI and I am a bit confuse in claiming points

I have worked as System Admin for more than 6 yrs and hold a professional certification from Microsoft (MCSA), however my bachelor degree is in Electronics Engineering.

Can I claim 15 points from work experience in area of absolute skill shortage ?

If I claim 15 points in EOI and INZ decides that I do not have the required degree based on LTSSL, will they automatically reject my EOI ? Or else ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold_a78 View Post
    Hi,

I am planning to submit my EOI and I am a bit confuse in claiming points

I have worked as System Admin for more than 6 yrs and hold a professional certification from Microsoft (MCSA), however my bachelor degree is in Electronics Engineering.

Can I claim 15 points from work experience in area of absolute skill shortage ?

If I claim 15 points in EOI and INZ decides that I do not have the required degree based on LTSSL, will they automatically reject my EOI ? Or else ?

Thanks

Hi,
    I was in similar situation but my bachelors had few subjects which were related to my job profile (not exactly into Sys admin) & our CO accepted it to be in-line with experience.

If your points get deducted for any reason while you do not have a Case Officer allocated, then your application goes back to EOI pool for next set of selection. ( I have not been in this situation, so subject to correction)

> If I claim 15 points in EOI and INZ decides that I do not have the required degree based on LTSSL, will they automatically reject my EOI ? Or else ?

From other threads in the forum I gather that they will not automatically reject your EOI but, if they do not agree with your points claim, they will simply not grant you the 15 points you claimed. Someone from NZIS will contact you and inform you that you cannot be granted those 15 points.

I think that totally depends on your CO's discretion, if this criteria is let loose then people will just claim points in EOI without proper validation and move into next stage.

I have come across some threads where people have got the points deducted (I think one of the person with id Jonthegull)

We had a similiar situation back in 2006/2007 when we submitted our EOI with 135 points. OH (mgbridges) as principle applicant claimed points for over 10yrs work experience as an IT Project Manager (on the Critical Skills Shortage list at the time). He also claimed points for his degree in Electrical Engineering.

Because his degree was not an IT based degree they wanted to deduct the points he had claimed for his work experience. However, he was at least given the opportunity to provide a breakdown of his degree to see if it had a big enough IT related content. He got the breakdown from his old University and sent it to his CO however they still decided to deduct the points.

This knocked us back to 110 points (IIRC) and we got put back in the 'pool'.

At that point we got proactive and decided to invest in OH coming to NZ to look for work. He spent a week here, secured 3 job offers, accepted one on his return to the UK, informed his CO, hey presto over the 140pts mark and our ITA was on its way to us!

At the time it seemed totally crazy to us that despite 10yrs experience in the field for which they said there was a critical skills shortage (IT Project Management) it didn't 'count' because he had done a degree in Electrical Engineering! We couldn't see the relevance of the degree but hey you have to work within the rules - ours not to reason why!

Anyway, I hope this might help, not sure if it answers your question as I have rambled - sorry!

Good luck!
    Anneliese

All,

Thanks a lot for your replies & sharing. You guys have been very helpful.

I think I will try to claim the 15 points and cross my finger I'll get a CO who can understand my situation
    Worst case scenario, they will deduct my points and my EOI will get back in the 'pool'

Been trying to apply job from here but I guess it's quite difficult if you are not physically in NZ and doesn't have work permit.