Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Useful things to do on activation trip?

Default Useful things to do on activation trip?

Hi everybody!

We'll be arriving in New Zealand to activate our PR on Feb 12 next year. We'll stay for eight days.

While on this short trip what are the things we could/should do in anticipation of our move in June/July 2011? Here's a preliminary list (very short at this moment, but I hope your input will make it much longer):

1. Open bank account (do I need a NZ address for this? - we'll be staying at a holiday apartment, will this address suffice?)

2. Get IRD numbers (are they necessary at this time, and if yes, how do we go about getting them?)

3. Visit school(s) and talk to an administrator? Since we don't know where we'll settle, should we randomly pick a school and try to see the staff just to get an idea about the schools in general and also learn what docs our children should take from their current school when we move?

4. Get driver's license (is it necessary or even possible at this time?)

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

NJ2NZ a/k/a Taufiq

Bank accounts - you can do most of this before you get here, all the banks have a migrant section so you register online / by fax, then come in and collect the waiting cards in person on arrival. We went with National Bank, others have had no problems with any of the others. With National then it's online, email to make an appointment in a specific branch when you know when/where you'll be for the visit and you're sorted.

IRD. You need an address for this. But a motel address is fine. You need a confirmation from the motel that you're staying there, and then go to a post office with passports and they'll post the stuff off. You can put a delivery address on there that is differnt to the motel, so no problem with that.

Driving license. Not needed at all - you get 12 months on a foreign license. Not sure about converting a US license to NZ - the UK one is a doddle, but US may be more involved as you drive on the wrong side of the road

Can't help with schools.

Other things Mrs74 did on her activation visit in Spetember were library, register with GP (there's a 3 month period when you may not get cheaper appointments, but only worth doing if you know where you're living I would have thought, met a potential employer (who finally got round to making a formal offer today), got to know her way around, drink several gallons of coffee, and eat several times her own body weight in french toast.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ2NZ View Post

1. Open bank account (do I need a NZ address for this? - we'll be staying at a holiday apartment, will this address suffice?)

2. Get IRD numbers (are they necessary at this time, and if yes, how do we go about getting them?)

3. Visit school(s) and talk to an administrator? Since we don't know where we'll settle, should we randomly pick a school and try to see the staff just to get an idea about the schools in general and also learn what docs our children should take from their current school when we move?

1. I suppose yes, as long as you can an address (some banks request address proof, so have your stay details on hand, I mean papers that prove your stay, take your passport with you)

2. It hardly takes 10 minutes to apply for IRD, take your passport, any employment offer letter.

3. No experience on this one.

4. For drivers license you will need address proof (like utility bills etc, active license, rest of details are on AA website), I have not done this yet.

You can drive with foreign license for an year.

Smile

1- Westpac will open bank account without proof of address but you still need an address to put on their system.

2- For IRD visit post office with two forms of photo ID, your apssport with visa sticker and your photo driving license will do that, still need an address to receive IRD number.

3- No experience yet.

4- You need proof of address and original foreigh driving license. You can ask the bank to print statement when they open your bank account (this is what I did) and take it as proof of address. There is fee of $52 something for convertion and an eye test on spot as well, whole process does not take more than 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ2NZ View Post
    Hi everybody!
    NJ2NZ a/k/a Taufiq

They think we drive on wrong side of road.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Driving license. Not needed at all - you get 12 months on a foreign license. Not sure about converting a US license to NZ - the UK one is a doddle, but US may be more involved as you drive on the wrong side of the road

Quote Originally Posted by rizjunior View Post
    They think we drive on wrong side of road.
    So that's them wrong twice in respect of the same issue. Proof that two wrongs still don't make a right!

A word of warning re. National bank. I believe they are the only bank to imprint your name on the bank cards so they need to have a few days to do this whereas other banks seem to issue the cards nameless on the spot. Correct me if things have changed but this was the case 3 years ago.

Well both mine and my wife's cards were waiting for us on the day we arrived. Credit card arrived 4 days later. We registered in advance online, but at the time (early this year) then they were the only ones that you could do all the registration on line and not post / fax things. I am pretty sure this HAS changed in that other banks now allow a paperless registration.

As for a US drivers license, you need your current license and proof you have had it for at least 2 years prior to the day you apply.

You can prove this by the issue date on it. If you have a new license you can go to the city/county where you get you license in the states and ask for a driving record. Make sure is has issue date on it, not just a record of the last tickets etc.

I guess some license' have the original date you received your license on them but we are from Idaho and ours are issued for 3 years at a time. I went down to AA to get my license and I was 10 days shy of my 2 years. I had to come back. Apparently Idaho does not put our original issue date on them but our license number is always the same. I also had my print out but again, no issue date, just a record of my last citation. The woman at AA did not take this as proof of actually having a license. Just that I had a driving infraction. I tried to polietly point out that I would have been cited for not having a license if I had not provided one but it did not work. So I came back 10 days later.

With regard to schools, unless you know the school you intend to enroll your children in I think a visit would be pretty meaningless as they are all different. If you know where you'll be renting and are deciding between a couple, that's different and might be really neat to have made a decision before arriving to settle. As for documents- they'll need to see passports with PR, might want to see proof of address if it's a tightly zoned school and it's useful to bring their school reports. If you've got more general questions about schooling in NZ you could do a search on the forum or ask questions or you could visit the curriculum online ( http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/ ) to check out the NZ curriculum and ERO ( http://www.ero.govt.nz/ ) for reports on schools. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast