Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Please - Partnership Ended

Question Advice Please - Partnership Ended

Hello

I am very new to the forum and this is my first post.

First of all thank you for running this forum, I have been getting very helpful information since I found here last night and encouraged by knowing I'm not the only one who is going through this long tunnel.

As I searched the forum I couldn't find any topics similar to my case so I would like to have some advice from you.

Now I'm in NZ under work permit (partnership) which is valid until May 2011. Unfortunately relationship with my Kiwi partner didn't go well for several reasons so we made this decision to end it after I came to NZ. We have a 8 y.o. son here and sharing responsibility on him.

Now that I can't apply for PR under partnership, and researched other options to stay with my son. As a result I'm feeling the best way is to find a job first and get a work visa, then apply for PR under Skilled Migrant Policy. (I have not had good luck yet though )

Here is my question:

If INZ finds out I'm not with my partner somehow (they will see it anyway when I state my partnership status as 'Divorced' when applying for PR), does it affect on my current visa and/or approving PR?

Even if we believed the relationship was genuine and stable something unexpected happens between couples sometime...

It would be appreciated if someone who had a similar experience could share the story.

Thanks heaps

Hello and welcome. I hope someone will know something to help you.

Hello JandM,

Thank you for your warm welcome :-)

Does your current visa have a condition requiring you to be living with your ex-partner? If not then as you say, you've got time. If there is a condition, then get in touch with NZIS immediately as if you overstay then you will be refused a new visa and potentally banned from NZ for 5 years.

You obviously aren't the first person that this has happened to, and so they should be able to help you find a way through the process that is legal and helps you keep in touch with your son.

I am wondering if the Geneva Convention will figure into this somehow?

How could they refuse to allow you to stay when that would separate you from your child?

Just brainstorming...

Thank you for your comment Duncan74,

I checked my current visa and no, there is no conditions such as requirement to be living with partner. So that means I still have some time to find a job I guess... phew.

I know there are some people who's got PR under Skilled Migrant after having partnership work visa but I still worry if they see my partnership status as 'Divorced' they will check further about my visa and partnership history.

Are there anyone who's been through similar process?

Thanks in advance.

The only time that a 'history' is a problem is if you've lied or acted outside your visa. As you've done nothing wrong why are you worried? If you attempted to hide the fact you'd been here on a partnership visa in your application then you could be rejected.

But I really think you ought to contact NZIS to discuss the best way forward, as they may have another route (not Skilled Migrant) which may be better. Some variant of the partner route as I assume your son is a Kiwi?

Hello HRK & welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your situation but hope some better portal opens up for you here. I think last month I came across similar thread but lets wait for someone who had similar case to respond.

All the best with next steps ahead.

---- Sorry I could not find that post (probably my oversight), this thread might give some rough idea

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30842
    Last edited by Sun777; 6th December 2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Bit more info

Thank you all for your helpful comments. You guys are awesome :-).

I just rang NZIS and explained my situation asking if there is another route to stay in NZ other than Skilled Migrant. An officer checked with his senior adviser and NZ law, and told me I have to leave the country when my current visa expires if I can't find secured job, even if my son is a kiwi and I have a custody...

So there seems to be only one way to left, which is to find a job and apply PR under Skilled Migrant.

I agree with what Duncan74 says. I definitely didn't make a lie when I got a work permit and what happened was what happened after this, so there is no need to worry about even they ask about it.

Thank you all for giving me kind advises. Now I will do my best to find a secured job!

Good luck, HRK! I'm sure you will find a way to stay with your son.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast