Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAF - Pretty thorough

Default MAF - Pretty thorough

Well hot on the heels of importing my used tent where they decided they didn't need to inspect it, then I just got an envelope containing half a dozen xmas and birthday cards from the UK. Every single one of those cards had been opened, then resealed with some selotape. Must think my family are 'tight as' because there wouldn't have been any money in there anyway, but it was well checked.

back when our container arrived (2 years ago), MAF inspected a few boxes--which were then sealed with MAF tape.

When I opened one of the taped boxes, I found a shoe box full of seeds in little seed packages. I didn't pack them, had no idea they were there and was really surprised that MAF had checked this box and allowed them through!!

As I don't want to bring any genetically engineered seeds into NZ (and these were US seeds so likely genetically engineered or modified in some way), I destroyed the seeds.

But still--MAF opened that box and inspected it and then LET THE SEEDS INTO NZ? Or they just put some tape on it?

Well they didn't put any seeds into my cards. I now feel short changed.

That seems a bit wierd, Duncan - I would have thought they would use the MAF or Customs tape to let you know it had been checked by them, was it just ordinary sellotape?

Yep. And then an ickle 'MAF Inspected' label on the front, jsut like an old fashioned price label, or the 'use by' stickers you see on some food.

Yeah, recently my friend sent me a party pack of Daim bars, and they opened every single one and then resealed them with tape. But they all tasted a bit stale and had lost their crunch. Surely 1 would have been enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    Yeah, recently my friend sent me a party pack of Daim bars, and they opened every single one and then resealed them with tape. But they all tasted a bit stale and had lost their crunch. Surely 1 would have been enough?
    What??? CRAZY!

If you see the border security then you see that's how a lot of drugs get smuggled in. I think that having multiple parcels / packages addressed to the same people in NZ in a short period raises the likelihood of checks, hence why after my tent got through unchecked they went to town on my cards.

We've had loads of packages from the UK unchecked, but when Mum sent me a memory stick with family photos on - they delayed it a month, opened, checked and resealed it with sellotape - no sticker or notice - just taped it back up.

We've sent dozens of packages of chocolate etc over here in the past to the in-laws and nothing has ever been checked.

We just received a packet of original "Nuernberger Lebkuchen", the 5th time now since we are here- the first two, I think were opened and resealed (only the surrounding packaging, not the individual ones), but after that every single one came tthrough as it was- I guess they must have us on some sort of a list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast