Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nursing jobs

Question nursing jobs

My wife is a nurse here in the US. How hard would it be for her to get a job in New Zealand?

We have many site members who are nurses, so I'm sure you'll get some detailed help later when NZ wakes up. If I remember rightly, there is a registration procedure to go through, which can take a bit of time, but once that is done, there are plenty of jobs.

Default mountanman

The first step is for your wife to get NZ registration which can take a few months. The best advice is to head to the NZNC website (http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz) .
    After gaining registration she will then need to pay for her Annual Practising Certificate (currently $92.00) before she can work as a registered nurse.
    As for nursing posts it depends on the area of nursing and where in NZ you are looking at locating to but there are posts available. If you have a look on trademe there are posts advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    there are plenty of jobs.
    There were 'plenty' of jobs (past tense) - this is not quite the case in the present climate. Since the recession hit, many who had left the profession have since returned to nursing and there are far fewer vacancies than there have been in the past - this seems to be happening globally and is not specific to NZ. I have seen some articles stating that certain areas now have an over supply of nurses. So like always it does depend on ones field and location.

I was a Registered Nurse in America. We moved to Christchurch last January.
    I started the process for registration in New Zealand a month or so before moving, thinking it wouldn't take that long, and positions were plentiful.
    Well, the process took much longer than I expected, my case was not typical to those I've read on this forum. I had long waits from the US end for documents for various reasons. Anyhow, once all of the correct documents were in place, it took 3 weeks for registration, and another 3 for Annual Practising Certificate(ANP).
    So, in my opinion , if you are depending upon the income, obtain the Registration & ANP prior to moving, but after getting your visa or permit.
    Things worked out for me in the end. I had a whole year to settle into the country, be there for our girls, etc. It was nice to have that time, and then move forward to focus on securing a Nursing position.
    From what I've heard there are needs for Midwifes, and specialty nurses- ICU and ED, but this may depend on what area of the country you are looking at.
    Hope that is helpful. If you want to PM that is ok.

Agree with Moses. First step is to apply for registration and APC as the DHBs are not interested unless you have the right to work here.
    Also I am sure now you also have to sit (and pass!) and IELTS exam before you can even apply for your registration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Don View Post
    Agree with Moses. First step is to apply for registration and APC as the DHBs are not interested unless you have the right to work here.
    Also I am sure now you also have to sit (and pass!) and IELTS exam before you can even apply for your registration.
    you most cetainly do. everyone has to do the academic IELTS exam and pass it at a certain level (7 i think) except kiwis and ozzies, to register as a nurse in NZ. the whole process can take weeks so best get the ball rolling,. you can download all the forms from the NZ website.

From what I hear, your wife will be welcomed with open arms, once everything is in place.

Default Re ; Nursing Positions New Zealand

Hi,

Good luck with your move to NZ. I am a registered general nurse from Ireland. I started the process last year and it took a long time to get everything orgainised.

First step is to apply for your NZ nursing registration.This can take a while as you will need to get orginal copy of your nursing curriculum sent from where you studied directly to NZ nursing board along with any postgraduate qualifications. You will need to provide proof of nursing experience/police clearance/references etc so it is time consuming.IELTS is another fun experience!! Once you get nurse registration you then apply for practising Cert.

Once you have all this then you can submit EOI to NZ immigration as more points once you have this all in situ.In my experience nursing registration took longer and was harder to organise than visa!!

I had no problem getting a nursing job- use Tonix Healthcare Recruitment who can guide you through Nursing registration and obtaining a nursing position-they are excellent.I dealt with Kate who I couldn't recommend highly enough.Good Luck

I am a UK nurse working in the US and it took longer than I thought it would to go through the whole nursing registration process. Mainly because all the paperwork I sent to Wellington kept getting 'lost'.
    I applied and became registered before the IELTS so I cannot comment on that. I have also been using Tonix and they have been very helpful.
    I would follow the advice of the previous postors above and definetely have your wife start contacting previous employers for letters confirming dates of previous positions held etc. That was probably the most time consuming part of the whole process for me.
    Good luck.
    What speciality does she work in and what part of the US are you guys in?
    I work ER on the East Coast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast