Thread: Air Asia

Default Air Asia

Any Mainlanders tempted by these guys flights
    http://www.airasia.com/my/en/home.html ?

Had a wee look see this evening. They only fly into Stansted so for us have to get to other side of UK from there. Once you add on all the frilly bits, that you need for long haul, still works out darn sight cheaper than their main rivals and Premium seat could be worth it for one leg of the journey.

Have always used Emirates but they now route you on 4 separate flights

rubbish website imo. although im not sure if theyre any cheaper than air nz on some dates?

There is tiger airways from Perth but the seat space and leg room is significantly disadvantageous according to what I've read on the web.

Haven't flown Air Asia before but they do have a very good reputation - both amongst loco's and passengers.

They are bank rolled by this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Fernandes

I have friends who have used it Stansted to KL. One said okay for the money, one not very keen, one never again (but she normally fly business).

I've flown Air Asia short haul and they are a bit like slEasyjet. Not as bad as Ryanscare though. It'd have to be a big saving for me to use them with an 18 month old. I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...istchurch.html

A few interesting words of caution in that thread..... especially the width of the seating, meals running out mid-flight and lack of support if they make you miss transfers!

We've decided to give them a miss, let others iron out any wrinkles and see how they go.

Ploughing through the website to get a flight with all the add on's was a mission in itself

So booking tickets with Quantas via Sydney and Singapore

We flew Gold coast - KL then onto Vietnam with Air Asia. They are very cheap which was great for us at the time but I don't think I've ever been more uncomfortable in a plane, and that was only for 8 hours. If you paid more and got the bigger seats with more room then it might be ok, but I'd never fly to the UK in those seats, it would be torture

It said in the paper that they fit 87 more seats into the airbus 330 than a regular airline. That's a hell of a lot more seats - the paper said it equates to about 7cm of leg room. I honestly don't think I could travel long haul with them, even if they are cheap. Probably ok for an internal Asian flight but flights are hell anyway without being totally cramped.

Quote Originally Posted by thezorbster View Post
    It said in the paper that they fit 87 more seats into the airbus 330 than a regular airline. That's a hell of a lot more seats - the paper said it equates to about 7cm of leg room. I honestly don't think I could travel long haul with them, even if they are cheap. Probably ok for an internal Asian flight but flights are hell anyway without being totally cramped.
    It isn't that many more seats - A330s are typically (in economy) decked out as 2x4x2 so 87 seats is another 11 rows of economy (less one seat - probably emergency exit or galley related). With a reasonable biz class row equalling 2.5 rows of economy seating you could just get rid of 4 and a bit rows of biz class seats on a typical A330 layout or squeeze the biz seats up a bit (which would be expected as low cost biz won't be as plush as full service biz and won't have as many customers) to provide the room for the extra economy seats without actually squeezing anyone else up at all!