Thread: Upholstering chairs

Default Upholstering chairs

We have bought some old dining room chairs which we'll be bringing with us (hey, if you have a 40ft container you might as well fill it! ops: )
    They need the seats reupholstering. Anyone know how in/expensive that sort of thing is in NZ? Trying to figure out whether we should get it done before we leave, or wait til we get there... :?
    Thanks!

Hi Dinnaefash

Is it something you could attempt yourself and maybe bring the materials with you? Unless they are antique etc?

I've done a couple of sets of ours and it isn't too difficult, and the materials for it were easy to get here in the UK.

Deborah

oooooooooooh! ops: Well, I suppose so... if I have to! :eek

take the old cover off use it as a pattern etc etc, failing that wait til we get out there and I'll give you a hand.

Deborah

I covered all of my 8 chairs for the pricley sum of £3.50 for the fabric, which was proper upholstery fabric and the hire of a industrial staple gun, £15.

Much cheaper to do it yourself, if you can or feel confident enough that is.

Jo

failing that wait til we get out there and I'll give you a hand.
    I might hold you to that!
    Much cheaper to do it yourself
    Blimey, I'm getting the idea that maybe it wouldn't be that hard! :? Ok, I'm off to find some fabric...

I recovered some old second hand chairs just prior to coming here. Its pretty simple to do. Top tip - buy extra material and then you will have a co ordinating table cloth to match your lovely chairs.