Thread: Sending passport from US

Default Sending passport from US

Hi, I recently travelled to US from UK and my CO has asked me to send the passport for physical verification before he can decide on my application. Can anyone suggest me how (& whether) i can send my Indian passport out of US to London without affecting my stay in the States?
    Thanks

I think quite a lot of people have sent their passports to UK office. My daughter was studying in Christchurch while our application was approved in UK, she sent her passport to my address in UK, we sent one single post to INZ, London office for stamping. Once blue stickers were stamped, we sent our daughter's passport back to Christchurch.

NZ_maggy, thanks for starting a new thread in this matter.

Sun777, I saw your reply on the other topic.. thank you.

Hello Maggy,
    MY personal experience: It’s OK and safe to send the passport to the UK if you are staying in the USA. There will not be any issues with your US immigration status. I was staying in the USA and I had to send my passport to the London branch. It went very well. A kind advice: please make sure that you are sending the passport with International priority if you are using FedEx. You can track it every hour or so (You know that). It gets to the UK second business day (in my case I was in CA at the time).
    I know it is a situation where I did not have my passport for a month! However, I knew that is it with my CO. So no worries at all make some copies of your passport for your record.

Good Luck with your transition.
    Akash

Thanks Akash.

I assume that i need my passport to apply for SSN, driving license etc initially, but once i m done with applying, do you think i would need my passport for anything else?

Hi Maggy,
    I guess so you don't need passport for anything other than SSN DL and international travel if any. If you travel within the US, I am sure you have your DL as a photo id. Some tests/exams like TOEFL require a passport if one is not citizen of the USA. (Just an instance). Otherwise you can present your DL as your photo id.

And also, just make sure that your I 797 is valid for a long period (waiting period for the NZ visa).

I hope this helps,

By the way which type of visa are you applying for?

Please let me know if you have any questions. I have dealt with the US CIS and INZ for a long time. You will find INZ is much better and easy going.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted.
    Akash

Thanks akash