Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going it alone...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Going it alone...

Hi, I'm looking to apply for my IEP visa through BUNA in January, I'm 35yrs old so have left time for the visa to come through, and then hope to travel off for the year in Oct/Nov 2011 at the tender age of 36yrs. I'm going it alone, I know no one in NZ, am not heading out with a partner, spouse or anything like that - just me. Is there anyone else out there who has made the move or is hoping to and in the same boat as me? I'd really love to hear from you.

I am going to keep money in a UK bank and am presently looking into how I would take money from another account over to NZ - transfer looks the best one I have opened an account out there.

I have no professional job, though I am a degree holder - but otherwise I've always done a mixture of jobs from PA to hostel work. Has anyone any advice for me? I thought originally that I might move around a lot but think this would now be too good to be true and need to stay in one place, which leads me to location - it's all beautiful and I don't know where to head. Though I have 11 months to decide this. I am a sporty person but not bungy jumping etc, I'm not keen on cities (born in B'ham, UK), but do like to be near a good sized town and countryside. I'd be happy to work on a farm or do something completely different than I've ever done before.

Would love to hear from anyone regarding anything - I'm having highs and lows about the idea of moving but know if I don't do it, I will regret it forever.

Thank you so anyone who responds.
    Nikki

You might be interested in Wwoofing (www.wwoof.co.nz)

Hi Nikki, interesting to read your post as it reminded me very much of my own situation. I arrived in NZ in Feb 2008 on my own and knowing no one here. It can be quite a daunting task as all of our friends, family, support etc are so far away. However, it can also be very rewarding and exciting too.

Like yourself, I knew if I didn't do it I might never do it. So, I booked flights, arranged some accommodation and left. I've been here in Wellington almost 3 years now and despite a number of up's and down's things are going pretty well. I went back to the UK for a couple of weeks earlier in the year and it was helpful as it reminded me that all of the reasons for my coming here were still there.

Kiwi's are pretty relaxed and it's not overly difficult to make friends here. I guess it depends on what you enjoy doing and how much effort you put into it. Much the same anywhere really.

If you wanted to talk a few things over or ask any questions feel free to PM me.

If it feels right then give it a go!

Take it easy

Ian.

Tauranga / Whakatane sounds like it may suit from a lifestyle perspective, and there's the Kiwi orchards for hands on work, but the wages will be subsistence only.

Hi Guys, thanks for your responses - not many do it alone then I'm happy to do friutpicking for a bit, for fun but eventually I would take to proper work for sure, and return to being a PA and stuck in an office.

Thanks Ian, I would love to PM you - how do I do this? I'm new to this and couldn't see where I am pm you, but I have added you as a friend.

I've applied for my visa (and paid) today through BUNCA - fingers crossed and here I go!

Thanks
    Nikki

You need to make one more post on a public thread. Once the system has caught up with the fact that you've made five posts, you click on anyone's username above one of their posts, and sending a private message will be one of the options that appears in the drop-down box.

Thanks again for your posts. I know I'm not heading out there until Oct next year, but I'm already looking at where to go, though I have to start in Auckland but it is all so lovely I want to be everywhere!! So I have to work on that. I'm guessing with a one year visa I'm better off with seasonal work rather than full term contract, but having said that I rather like the idea of going back to offices in a different country and getting stuck in.

I've been looking for paid work involving animals or especially whales and dolphins that don't need qualifications relating to Zoology etc, I was hoping there would be research work or something but nothing has come up - does anyone have an ideas or suggestions?

Thank you for the info about PMing people, there are already a couple of people I'd like to PM.

Thanks again Merry Christmas to everyone
    Nicola

I'm selling up in the U.S. and making the move alone but I'm a Kiwi so I'm related to half the country. But will probably settle in part of NZ where I don't know a soul (except for a couple from this forum).

Good luck. No guts, no glory!
    Last edited by Dell; 25th December 2010 at 02:44 AM.

I have come over on my own, but I do have family over here as my parents emigrated about 14 years ago.
    It has been a bit lonely at home but I have been so busy at work that it kind of gets forgotten during the day.
    I have found it a bit difficult to make friends rather than acquaintances but it's still early days and I'm not a social addict!
    Sorting stuff out like doctors and buying furniture is hard when you work 6 days a week too, not much is open when I am not working.

Question which visa best for someone with job offer

Quote Originally Posted by diogenese View Post
    I have come over on my own, but I do have family over here as my parents emigrated about 14 years ago.
    It has been a bit lonely at home but I have been so busy at work that it kind of gets forgotten during the day.
    I have found it a bit difficult to make friends rather than acquaintances but it's still early days and I'm not a social addict!
    Sorting stuff out like doctors and buying furniture is hard when you work 6 days a week too, not much is open when I am not working.

Hi everyone,

I just got a job offer and wish to know whether it will be easier to lodge a working visa or a Skilled Migrant Visa.

My job is in IT. I would appreciate anyone who could help me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast