Thread: Via Tokyo Narita

Default Via Tokyo Narita

Looking at the flight details then AirNZ seem to be pushing codeshares with Virgin at the moment. Including one via Tokyo. Anyone any thoughts on that (£1300 / £1650) for Premium Economy.

What do you want to know? Virgin are a good choice of airline, and the price seems OK. Tokyo's a decent airport but miles out of town, so be aware of that if you plan a stop over.

Pretty much sums it up ;-)

We were less than impressed by Virgin Premium to NY, but that was because they allocated us seats not together and then not only wouldn't change that, but refused to apologise. But in terms of the actual seat/service on board then it was OK.

But had no idea about Tokyo. Would be a fairly long connection there, 7 hours I think, but she'd not be leaving the airport. I assume that the airport facilities are good? I guess I'm asking if people that have been there would avoid this at all costs and pay the additional to go via LAX (which contrary to general views we find OK).

Is it a lot cheaper than flying Air NZ all the way? I recently flew an Air NZ/ Virgin codeshare (on a different route, though) and decided I am never going to do that again - I'd much rather pay a couple of hundred pounds more and fly straight through on Air NZ. I found the food on the Virgin flight really poor, and there wasn't much of it, either, the service was poor, the seat was ridiculously cramped (I was in economy, but when I changed to the Air NZ plane I felt as if I'd gone up to business class there was so much space compared to Virgin), and the Virgin leg was delayed for several hours. Oh, and the luggage allowance on Virgin was less than on Air NZ. Also, I had to collect my luggage and check it in again between flights which was a pain. To be honest, I don't think I will ever choose to fly Virgin again unless the flight is so cheap compared to others that it would be stupid not to.

How long are the flights? Looking at the Great Circle it could be one of the shorter trips (although a 7 hour layover will more than negate this - but at least it is 7 hours on the ground rather than in the air!).

You shouldn't have any of the hassles of codesharing through the US with this flight (so can check your bags through etc).

I've flown Virgin a few times and hate their economy product due to the lack of space but P.E. looked good (only booked in once and was upgraded on both legs to Upper so have no experience of it - Upper is excellent! ).

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    But had no idea about Tokyo. Would be a fairly long connection there, 7 hours I think, but she'd not be leaving the airport. I assume that the airport facilities are good? I guess I'm asking if people that have been there would avoid this at all costs and pay the additional to go via LAX (which contrary to general views we find OK).

My son was there in early 2009 and didn't mention the facilities. So I assume they are fine.

However in his 7.5 hours between flights he left the airport and "played tourist" after getting himself a visa.

As I say, £300 saving off £1650 via LAX. Baggage will be the same as it's AirNZ through ticketed. And as you say PE will be better than cattle. And OH is a hobbit, so leg room less of an issue anyway.

We have found that Air malasia Have consistantly came up cheeper than the others and also offer a pretty good service via Kwalaloompa but they only fly to Auckland not ChC, could be worth a look at if you want some variety, we also found this flight broke the travel times up in a nicer way as it was a 10 hr then a 12 hr flight with a 3 hr stop in KL, (or more if u stop over )

http://malaysiaairlines.com/uk/en/home.aspx
    Last edited by Madoxen; 13th December 2010 at 03:25 PM.

We've flown via Japan before, but on JAL codeshare AirNZ - depending on the flight it sometimes goes via Osaka instead of Tokyo though.

The first time was yuck because the layover time was something like 4hr in the middle of night and everything in the airport was shut, but every other time the timing has meant that JAL threw in (or at least provided) a room in one of the airport hotels. I'm sure the cost was factored into the ticket somehow, but it was really nice to get your head down for a decent night's sleep. I don't remember the ticket cost being loony either.

I was a tightwad the last time though, and brought along a packet of sarnies for dinner. Japanese airport hotel food is *very* expensive! Then loaded up on the free brekkie in the morning...

I had a long connection in Narita a couple of years ago. There is a nearby outlet shopping mall/village and special airport bus to take you there (can't remember if it's free or not) so that is a good way to spend a few hours.