Thread: Working as a Solicitor in NZ

Default Working as a Solicitor in NZ

I work as a solicitor in Yorkshire in the area of Wills and Probate and am looking into the possibility of work in NZ with a view to permanent residency if all goes well.

I would qualify for the IEP Work Exchange Visa as I am 31 but would like to work, if not as a solicitor, at least as a paralegal before qualifying as a Solicitor in NZ.

Has anyone moved from the UK to NZ and works in this area? What are job opportunities and pay like? Will I have sufficient existing knowledge having practiced in England to enable me to get by advising clients in NZ?

Any help most appreciated!

I don't know any answers for you, but hello and welcome.

Thank you! So much to plough through! I'm throwing mud in every direction at the moment, having enlisted previous clients with links to NZ, friends and even the lady who owned the B&B we stayed at in Auckland last year, in the hope that something will stick!

My Dad's solicitor left the U.S. for NZ about 8 years ago. He was told that NZ did not want any solicitors so he had to invest money to get into the country!

I've been an attorney in the US for almost 20 years. I had initiated the registration process with the NZ Bar several years ago. After spending NZD 800+ to have my credentials evaluated, I was asked practically to do everything a NZ law graduate'd have to do, including taking courses from the regular LLB program (public law, trusts & Estates - at least the first taking a year to complete) and passing exams in 4 of the 6 subject areas tested. It didn't help that although I had an LLM from a US uni, my first law degree was from a non-common law country. On this count you'll likely fare better. But I understant nothing will get you completely exempted from the exam requirements. Plus be ready to part with a large amount of money just to find out what you may be required to do. I'm sure there are brave and willing souls who get past these hurdles. But I gave up. We're immigrating mostly based on my wife's qualification.

May be you'll asked to do much less than I was, and while you're on WHV, can fulfill whatever requirements they designate, thus hopefully qualifying for permanent residence as a lawyer.

Will be glad to answer any question I can owing to my little failed attempt in getting admission to the NZ Bar.

Good luck.

NJ2NZ -

Ugh! Who wants to go through another bar exam? I'm an attorney in the US and will be moving to NZ in a few years with my kiwi OH. I'm looking at it as an opportunity to make a career change. However, student loans will still be hanging over my head so it's going to have to be a reasonably lucrative career change. I wonder if citibank would take payment in crates of wine if I end up at a vineyard?

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    NJ2NZ -

Ugh! Who wants to go through another bar exam? I'm an attorney in the US and will be moving to NZ in a few years with my kiwi OH. I'm looking at it as an opportunity to make a career change. However, student loans will still be hanging over my head so it's going to have to be a reasonably lucrative career change. I wonder if citibank would take payment in crates of wine if I end up at a vineyard?
    You're so right, CarolinaGirl. I was so focussed on not letting go of the hard-earned attorney title that I was quietly preparing to go through the horror of another bar exam again. But not anymore. I'm ready for a career-change too.

I think paying with crates of wine's a good idea. Poor bankers supposedly had a rough time the past few years (although their books'd say otherwise!) Throw a few legs of lamb into the bargain!

Good luck with your plans.