Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Orange Juice too sweet?

Question Orange Juice too sweet?

Is it my imagination or does orange juice in New Zealand taste too sweet?

I've tried most of the fresh orange juices sold at the supermarkets (Pak n Save, Countdown, New World) and checking the ingredients they all seem to contain added sugar.

I feel sure that the orange juice I used to buy in the UK at Tesco or Sainsburys wasn't so sweet.

I've tried adding grapefruit juice (when I can find it) and even a squirt of lemon juice to reduce the sweetness but it still taste too sweet for me.

Does anybody else agree with me or am I starting to lose it?

I find everything sweet and salty over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    I find everything sweet and salty over here.
    I cannot compare with UK but with Europe.

Generally I would agree in things being sweeter here in NZ.

I do absolutely not agree with things being saltier!

I never added salt to anything, either in cooking or at the table (fish and chips being the one exception), so even in the uk noticed prepared food. But bread especially over here i find salty, and I know the policy reason behind that.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    ...I know the policy reason behind that...
    So, are you going to tell us?

I think that it has something to do with getting iodine into our systems over here so they add iodised salt.

Quote Originally Posted by rogercruse View Post

I've tried most of the fresh orange juices sold at the supermarkets (Pak n Save, Countdown, New World) and checking the ingredients they all seem to contain added sugar.
    You'll also find a considerable number of the orange juices are also made with an apple base Have you tried the Keri brand (made by Coca Cola)? I've just checked the ingredients on a bottle in my fridge and there is no sugar in it.....still made with concentrate, but then most are here.

The Charlies Honest fresh orange juice (similar to Innocent brand in UK) isn't made from concentrate and doesn't have any sugar in it either, but some of their other drinks do. It's quite pricey too.

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    I think that it has something to do with getting iodine into our systems over here so they add iodised salt.
    Sorrym been discussed a few times before so wrongly assumed I'd be boring people by repeating it. But as above. To make up for the lack of iodine in the soil that then gets into our bodies through fruit and veg. Slightly flawed by the fact that a lot of food in the shops in imported anyway, but is valid if you only eat in season locally produced food. Don't forget that due to NZ being failr young as a populated island then evoloution hasn't adapted to cope with the lack of iodine.

There are some really top quality pure juices available but as ever you pay through the nose for the healthier stuff. All the cheap stuff either has an apple juice base or if it's pure tends to have sugar etc added. My kids drink stuff with an apple base (heavily watered down) btu I'm sure it's giving them a sweeter palate as in the UK they both liked pure orange, grapefruit and cranberry (the latter not pure) juices but no longer. If they made pavlova juice my two would be in heaven ...

Another option is to get a juicer and an orange tree! In all seriousness though it is by far the best juice - but a hassle to peel the fruit!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast