Thread: Advice on partner visas?

Question Advice on partner visas?

Hi all - first I want to say thank you so much for this forum, it is so informative!!! :-)

I am hoping that someone can help me - here is the situation...
    I went to NZ in August 2008 on a special visa I got through a gap year/ OE company then got a WHV so I could stay in NZ another year. I left NZ in November 2010 when my visa expired, and I'm now back in the UK.
    I have left a boyfriend in NZ (he's a kiwi) and I'm looking at going back over there. We have been together since October 2009 but what makes it difficult is that we have never lived together and I know that for residency you need to have done for 12 months. Are we potentially eligible for a work visa for me supported by him?
    I have asked immigration and been given different answers - it's frustrating!!!

Thank you so much everyone!! :-)

Hello and welcome.

Here is the page you will need. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm Once you can show proof that you are living together, and are still (and some people on the forum have applied after only two or three weeks), you can apply for a temporary work visa with him sponsoring you. They will give you a temporary work visa for a shorter amount of time to begin with, and then renew it, assuming you are still living together, until such time as you have clocked up the 12 months and can put in for Residency.

Thanks for the reply - problem is we can't live together cos he is in NZ and I am in UK and therefore need a visa to go back. Do you reckon its worth applying anyway or are we likely to get refused straight away?
    Cheers!!

Yes, I realize one of you will need a visa of some sort. I think (just my reading of the regulations, nothing official) you will HAVE to get together, even for a short while, in one country or the other, before partner sponsorship will work. Have you looked into going on a visitor's visa? - not sure if you would be admitted yet, though, so soon after ending a WHV.

Ok -well the boyfriend is under instructions to go and talk to NZ Immigration in Auckland so we shall see :-)
    Thank you so much though - I will keep you updated on the progress!