Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: House Prices/Experiences

So, this lovely home would be considered a plaster home? I can't see the age posted on the ad. I was told that houses built over the past few years should be more solidly built and would not be considered to have the "Leaky Home Syndrome". Is this at all accurate

Quote Originally Posted by magcats View Post
    So, this lovely home would be considered a plaster home? I can't see the age posted on the ad. I was told that houses built over the past few years should be more solidly built and would not be considered to have the "Leaky Home Syndrome". Is this at all accurate
    There are a number of websites and thread describing what to look for and at when deciding if a pottential purchase is a leaky home but here's an overview...http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publ...background.php

....but the main point for me is this. It really doesn't matter if a house is a 'leaky home' or not...if it looks like it might be it will put pottential buyers off and reduce the overall price especially in a buyers market like now (and this is forecast to continue for some time).

I was told that houses built over the past few years should be more solidly built and would not be considered to have the "Leaky Home Syndrome". Is this at all accurate
    They are and plastered homes are still being built today but under a different method of construction which addresses the shortfalls of previous plaster methods. The requirement is there must be an air gap cavity and the wall must extend on the bottom past (away) from the footing. In my previous post if you follow the link "Don't Buy A Leaker", it specifically states the years where plaster homes were built with leaky methods.

Anyone else negotiated on the price of their property?

If you read this article, it suggests that leaky homes are still being built. I think a large part of the original problem was that untreated timber was used combined with monolithic plaster. But even treated wood will rot eventually if it is wet long enough. And a building report can only give a snapshot of how dry a building is on a particular day. So tests carried out after a period of dry weather may not reveal a leak that only occurs after rain.

Although I'm no expert I don't think plaster is a suitable type of cladding for the Auckland climate.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10695044

From the article:

He said leaky homes were still being built and Government attempts to hatch the new 25-25-50 scheme were no solution.
    To put it in perspective, Mr Gray should also mention the national wide compulsory registration of builders under the Licensed Builder's Practitioner scheme. The wheels are in motion and after 2012, you'll find all the cowboys will be weeded out.

Although no system is perfect, I strongly doubt houses are still being built to leak. The reason being is the methods of building such as external monolithic plaster cladding are no longer allowed. Of course there are several other areas that cause houses to rot, but pretty much all of it has been looked at and city council inspectors look for how they're done. In our house there are so many inspections that it's all too difficult for an individual to DIY entirely without sub-contracting. Flashings, WANS support bars under windows, eaves, are inspected very closely by city inspectors whereas in the past, they left it to the architect engineer's trust that no leaks would occur.

Under the current scheme, anyone could become an overnight tradesman with no previous background apprenticeship training. With the BLP licensing in place, the builder is held responsible (do bad and lose the right to build). Likewise with how electricians are required to be licensed. I was talking to my uncle (who's an electrician) and he said the penalties are very serve. The city inspector doesn't solely sign off on the electrical part of the house, instead they rely on the electrician's signature to be fully responsible for the work done. Being a registered electrician means he can be randomly audited. If the chosen house gets audited and they find it doesn't meet electrical code, then the electrician gets slapped with a $5000 instant fine + the the chance of losing the license to do electrical work. IMO, the whole building industry should be like this as it holds tradesmen accountable for the work done in all aspects - particularly the areas where leaks are known to occur and are not covered by registered sub-contractors.

I completely agree that treated timber or not, if the wall framing keeps getting wet, it will rot. Treated timber just only delays the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    Anyone else negotiated on the price of their property?

20%; we put (multiple) offers in on two other houses before finding our dream home. (The 20% is off the original listing price; the price was reduced 3 times before we decided we could possibly afford it, then we negotiated another 6% off the lowest price.)

Hi All,
    I've been reading the thread here and I completely agree with April about dodgy real estate agents and questionable work ethics.

We're not looking to buy yet and are looking for a place to rent for now. We got here about a week ago and have been calling agents / owners non-stop and I must say that dealing with the owners is so much easier and honest.

Especially this being a holiday period, I get the feeling that some of these agents just don't want any work before the break! Quinovic in particular seem to have a lot of listings and advertise all over, but when you call them you first get a machine and then subsequently an impatient, rude agent on the other line who sounds like she can't wait to hang up on you!!!!!

Sorry, ranting a little bit but trying to find a place before my partner starts work (5 Jan) has been stressful, especially as NZ/Wellington shuts from the 24th onwards until the 5th. We really need to get a place before the 9th as our shipping arrives then!

We've made an offer for a place and negotiated the rent down by about $40 a month... so am hoping that we've made a wise decision and are not being taken for a ride. Research in the area seems to say that we aren't.

Anyways, off to go test drive cars now. Good luck April in finding a good home and Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks 72 - that's interesting. Anyone else?

Good luck to you too Shoe- thanks for the rental price tip!

Anyone have any luck in figuring out value? We found a house we like and it is listed. So far the agent seems very nice and knowledgeable. However, the price is listed as "negotiable" and when I pressed the agent he gave a range that I feel is well above others in the neighborhood.
    I looked on real estate office websites and noted the asking price for other homes in the area of similar size and land size.
    I have no idea of sold prices though as I can't find where those would be public record.
    The house is new construction so there is no sales history. I did look up the CV value on the city council's website and it is ~100k less than asking price.
    I compared this to another house for sale across the street and the CV was ~$20k lower. BUT others were further apart.
    Anyone have any methods that worked?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast