Thread: Rental Costs etc

Default Rental Costs etc

We are looking to rent for six months and just wondered what the costs (hidden and otherwise) involved would be so we can budget for the monthly rent. A rough idea of bills for a small place for 2 people would be really useful too.

Thanks!

In terms of moving in expenses, you would expect to pay 2-4 weeks bond and 2 weeks rent in advance, and if it's through an agent then 1 week's bond +GST as a letting fee. If you have a look on trademe at rental property's they will usually state the move in costs, and you can get a pretty good idea as to the rental you should expect to pay.

As far as ongoing costs, they would really only be your utilities - phone, electricity, internet, water (if you are charged for it - I'm not where I am currently as it's a common meter, and a lot of places don't) and contents insurance .

My current expenses (2 people living in a 2 bedroom house in Auckland with no insulation) are phone - $47 per month, internet - $55 per month, Electricity, $80-$200 a month (more in winter cos heater's runing constantly!) not sure what our contents insurance costs as we pay it annually with car etc.

Let me know if you want any more specifics

I assume you are looking for place in Auckland. Well here's what we paid to move in and other expences:

Type of Unit: 3 Bedrooms, Front & Backyard, private car park
    Area: Greenlane (just besides One Tree Hill)
    Weekly Rent: $460
    Move in cost: 2 Weeks Rent as deposit, 2 Weeks Rent in Advance, 1 Week Rent as Agent fee
    Electricity: Average $150 in last 2 months (Oct/November)
    Water: $86 (for October)
    Fuel, Mobile, Broadband: this is standard all across NZ I suppose

Commuting to office: I have the option of taking 8am bus which goes through flyer and brings me to CBD by 8:30am. Cost: $3 each way. [I often miss this one]. Option B, taking a bus that goes through city, travel time:45-50 minutes in congested traffic, cost: same $3.

Train from Greenlane to Britomart $3.10 [Travel time is just about 20 mins, irrelevant of traffic]

Parking in CBD: $195 - $230 per month plus fuel

I take much longer (about 40 mins) to reach city by car than my faster option 8am bus.

I reckon you have pets so it might be very difficult to rent a decent place in CBD, Parnell, Remuera, Ponsonby are good options too. It might be bit difficult initially but agents/landlords do negotiate on pets (probably with slightly higher deposit).
    Last edited by Sun777; 17th December 2010 at 02:52 PM.

Hi everyone, I've been looking at rentals - though I'm not moving out until Oct 11 - I'm been looking at apartments but couldn't help but notice that the "in thing" in NZ seems to be unfurinished places - does/has anyone noticed any exceptions?

As I'm presently looking at a only a year out there, perhaps more if I can - I wouldn't want to be buying "big stuff" in until I knew what I was doing in the long term.

I'm assuming rentals a house is the same, mostly unfurnished?

Merry christmas and happy new year.
    Nicola

most are unfurnished, but you can occasionally find furnished, they do cost more though.

Thanks for all the information, and we have finally found a place and are moving in at the weekend.

Just one more question - the landlord says we make the cheque for the bond to the Housing Corporation - is this correct and what exactly is the title to put on the cheque?

Found it!