Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character Waiver Help!

Default Character Waiver Help!

Hi

My inlaws have finally got a CO (YAY!) but now the queries start (BOO!)

We need to apply for a character waiver for my FIL - he had two "dishonesty"convictions - one in 1965 & another 1967 - he is now 64!

Can anyone offer any advice who has previously gained character waivers, as to what we should put in the letter. He has stayed out of trouble since and was a businessman with his own business before he retired.

Help please!

I have no experience with character waivers but to me, I would outline what he has accomplished in the last 43 years!

Did he raise a good family? Was he gainfully employed? Solid marriage? Productive memeber of society? Excellent grandparent? Active in church and/or other community service type things? Boy Scouts, girl scouts, salvation army, meals on wheels etc.

From other people's threads (and a search will bring them up), he is going to need to write a grovelling letter, explaining the circumstances of the convictions, and how he afterwards came to see the error of his ways and became a different character. As Mickfin says, tell about all the good you can think of that he has done, and get letters from people of standing in the community to give him character references. Also, explain how he will be of benefit to your family in NZ, and outline all the good you can think of that YOU do in YOUR community, as you are asking to have the family reunited for your benefit, which is ultimately also NZ's benefit.

Do they charge you $$$$ for a character waiver??

I've never heard so, and there's no mention of it in the fees structure on the INZ site - you could ask them via their 'contact us' page.

Good luck! I hope something that happened 40 years ago wouldn't be a problem, but you never know!

Hi all,
    I also need some help on character waiver. Here is my situation, my CO emailed me to comment or send further evidence on PPI (potentially prejudicial information) as 3 of the documents sent were verified and appear to be fake or forged. These were birth certificates. I went back to the issuing offices and I was told that 2 were ok, but they said that they can issue me the third one with similar details. I do not understand contradictions between the two offices.
    Now the CO says that:

We have conducted verification on the birth certificates that you have supplied for all 3 applicants and our enquiries reveal that all 3 documents appear to be fake or forged.

As it appears that you may have provided fake or forged documents with the intention of misleading Immigration New Zealand then you will need to be granted a character waiver in order for your application to be approved. Please refer to references A5.1, A5.25i and A5.25.1 below which details the relevant policy.

A5.1 states that all applicants included in the application must be of good character and not pose a security risk or the application may be declined.

A5.25i states that applicants will not normally be granted a residence visa (Unless a character waiver is granted) if they have made any statement or provided any information, evidence or submission that was false, misleading or forged, or withheld material information.

A5.25.1 outlines the circumstances that must be taken into account when considering a character waiver.

We have not made a decision on your application at this stage. We invite you to make comments or provide further information in response to our concerns.

I kindly request for any tips and advice on how to proceed on this.

Thank you.

I've just been googling, so may have this all wrong (particularly since I have never had to deal with Ugandan bureaucracy), but did you get the birth certificates direct from the Department of the Registrar-General or a district registrar?

It looks like either can issue a certificate, but URSB would be the one I expect INZ would accept.

If they were issued from the central office... I really don't know what to suggest other than calling INZ and asking what they would like to have as proof that you have gone to the source. Maybe a receipt? If the Ugandan government's BDM records-holding agency isn't enough, then I don't know what is!

I don't know what to suggest more than Sophie has done, except that maybe you could ask the office in Uganda if there is an official who can be put directly in touch with INZ so they could confirm that your documents are not faked.

I hope you will find a solution - sympathies.

Hi, I am going through the same situation, can you please tell me what u did after that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast