Thread: Auckland Schools

Default Auckland Schools

Hi everyone here,

Are there any Auckland school teachers on this forum ? or Parents who are familiar with schools in Auckland......

I am comparing various secondary and primary schools in Northshore and Howick areas. Many of them have decile 10. Only a handful are decile 8 or 9.

Hoping to get some opinions from Auckland school teachers or parents about some of these schools.

I am also concern that those decile 10 schools maybe very expensive in terms of donations, asking parents to constantly pay for this activity and that event and books etc etc etc.

Seeking your opinions.

Hiya, we live in Howick, our daughter Lucy will be going to Pidgeon Mountain Primary http://www.pigeon-mountain.school.nz/ in September and after looking at the other schools in the area we have found this to be the best for her.

Other schools in the area are:

Macleans Primary
    Bucklands Beach Primary
    Pakuranga Primary
    & Howick Primary

Lots of people rave! about Macleans but we felt the teaching methods we're intense for Primary school age pupils.

Do a search on wises map, all the schools are shown in Yellow areas on the maps and do a search for the school on the internet www.google.co.nz. most schools have their own website.

Not sure yet on the donations but as all schools ask for this in the Howick area - not bothered.

You are right to think about donations in relation to decile ratings. The higher the decile rating (with 10 the highest), the less funding the school gets from central government. Therefore, potentially, the more it needs to get from parents and fundraisers to cover the shortfall.

Our local school was decile 5 and we were asked for a donation of $190. May not sound a lot but remember wages are generally much lower, so a greater % of income. Also, have to buy all books etc on top of this.

A prime factor in assessing decile ratings is the socio-economic profile of the population local to the school, ie will account for relative "wealth" of the locals. Donations are just that, ie donations, you are not obliged to make the contribution. A lot of people disagree with them on principle, and I have some sympathy with the view, but at the end of the day your child's education comes first and I think most people find the money somehow. The donation is also tax deductible, subject to overriding limits.

Hi

Does anybody have information/opinions about Howick College or Pakarunga College?

Regards
    Serene

Hi Serene

Both have an excellent reputation and featured on a recent list of top 10 Auckland colleges, whereas Macleans college (Bucklands Beach / Mellons Bay area) didn't - not sure why. We're looking for a house to buy at the moment and both zones for the colleges you've mentioned are of interest to us for our daughters (currently only 7 and almost 4).

Babette

Hi Babette

Thanks for that.

Do you happen to have a link to the list that you've mentioned?

Macleans have an article on their website which is in response to Metro magazine's recent list of top academic schools.

I am actually quite concerned about AliJax's comments on Macleans teaching methods. Somehow it conjures up a picture of a pressure cooker with the aim of producing excellent academic results. No offense to anyone. It is just my impression. It would be good if anyone with personal experience with Macleans could share some info here.