Thread: Arming Police with Firearms

Default Arming Police with Firearms

There's been lots of talk about arming NZ police officers with guns. Articles like this bring light that more should be done to protect them:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...over-arming-up

But at the same time, the public needs to be aware of the fatalities that can happen such as below:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...o.html?ref=rss

While the US has a very large police force, and one usually assumes their level of training would be far more intensive than over here in NZ, we have to ask will mistakes like above happen here in NZ? The video above is quite long and doesn't show a lot, you'll get more feedback by reading the reader comments instead.

having just left the growing police state that is the US--with the local small town police forces becoming increasingly "militarized"--and the police becoming overtly brutal, I certainly hope that the NZ police do NOT become armed.

Our system here works wonderfully as it is now. The police are friendly and helpful. They are approachable. They are there to serve.

Contrast that to what has happened in the US.

Part of the reason we moved here is because the police are NOT armed.

If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it!

Having never dealt with the police here, are there any officers that are armed?

Only the armed offenders squad.

If a criminal is armed with a gun, then these policemen with guns come.

Seems logical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    having just left the growing police state that is the US--with the local small town police forces becoming increasingly "militarized"--and the police becoming overtly brutal, I certainly hope that the NZ police do NOT become armed.

Our system here works wonderfully as it is now. The police are friendly and helpful. They are approachable. They are there to serve.

Contrast that to what has happened in the US.

Part of the reason we moved here is because the police are NOT armed.

If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it!
    totally agree - guns are lethal and don't protect -they kill when used, and they change the way a person relates when in their possession. NZ needs to avoid the dreadful mistakes of so-called advanced western democracies, not copy them.

Well it's not just guns. Look at the issue of the NZ police getting taizers. About 2 years ago the fatality of a Polish visitor at Vancouver airport killed by a taizer gun while in detention. Like the Seattle scenario, the police officiers had no knowing he had a heart condition and just walked in without thinking. (like the native carver with his knife being partially deaf).

The whole approach stinks. More needs to be addressed in police training with follow up reviews. We know that with a police batten, there's limited damage that can be done whereas guns and taizers, a press of a trigger kills.

I heard them on the radio trying to push the idea of tasers a few months ago. Had an Australian policeman extolling the virtues of the taser.

Bull biscuits!

Tasers are very dangerous. And there is no reason to put that kind of barrier between the public and police. Makes it Us vs Them.

Our system here is amazingly good. I hope NZ doesn't bow to the pressure (sales pitch of the companies that sell tasers and other military-type supplies).

It would be a disaster for all of us!

Also, in a related subject, JUST SAY NO TO PRIVATE PRISONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by themilkybarkid View Post
    NZ needs to avoid the dreadful mistakes of so-called advanced western democracies, not copy them.
    I'm all against arming police officers, but there aren't just two different models here.

An armed police force does not equal the US police force. Most of continental Europe seems to manage just fine with armed police forces and not have the same issues as the US.

Having said that, I'd be hard pressed to think in what context of recent a gun would actually have helped, I'm pretty sure the police officer who got attacked with a machete would probably be dead now and some others as well if his attackers had got hold of that gun.

If it isn't useful, and does nothing to improve issues, then why do it? The police in the UK aren't armed for the most part, and seem to be killed and injured on a far less regular basis than here.

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    The police in the UK aren't armed for the most part, and seem to be killed and injured on a far less regular basis than here.
    Are you sure about that, could it be that it occurs so often that it just doesn't get reported anymore?

Can't find any stats on the subject but did note that in 2004-2005 there were 10,596 assaults on officers in Scotland whilst in the same period there were only 1,869 in NZ (similar population sizes 5.1 million compared to 4.6million) - would have expected the rest of the UK to have a similar, or worse rate than Scotland?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Are you sure about that, could it be that it occurs so often that it just doesn't get reported anymore?
    Maybe I was just thinking of attacks resulting in death? There are more here than in the UK, I did look that one up at some point. Will try to find it.

Daniela