Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Empty nest without our doggies

Default Empty nest without our doggies

Arrrgh, the house is so strange and still without the little clink clink clink of doggie collar tags. The Pet Chaufer came and picked up our Weimeraner and Boxer this morning at 5:30 am...Shockingly they jumped right into their Kennels in the Van with stub tails wagging...(I kept my facade as happy all morning until they left so they wouldn't get upset -- but they have known for a while that somethin's goin' down!). Hopefully they continue to think it's an adventure!

Got a text that they slept most of the drive to L.A. and are tucked into the Kennel in L.A. where they can run and play in the Kennel yard. Tomorrow they make a trip to USDA for paperwork and crate seals/locks tomorrow, then they fly to Auckland & on to PetHaven for their 30days quarantine!

We miss them already but at least they'll be waiting for us on the other side!

We're on our way in 3 weeks!

All our nests have been empty at some point or the other but its all for good times ahead!! Just relax and enjoy your Christmas & New year.

Oh, when our little pom was on his way, we gave few of my shirts & towels tucked into his bed.

We did that too -- put our shirts in and their familiar doggy beds (minus the stuffing). I am sure they are having fun and making new friends!

We put a couple sweat shirts in the kennel as well. Our dog is currently at PetHaven, she gets out on the 9th or 10th.

Feels strange without her around....

I've been tracking their flight on http://www.cargoserv.com/webtracking/nz/tracking.asp

Oh you must be ready to have your dog soon, AddictedtoNZ! Has PetHaven sent any pictures or nice notes to you? that's where our dogs are headed.

I know it's hard leaving the little loved ones- but they'll survive well and make your transition much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by cantwait View Post
    I've been tracking their flight on http://www.cargoserv.com/webtracking/nz/tracking.asp

Oh you must be ready to have your dog soon, AddictedtoNZ! Has PetHaven sent any pictures or nice notes to you? that's where our dogs are headed.
    We visited her about 10 days ago, she was very excited, PetHaven did send an email that she was doing well (when she arrived).
    If you go visit your dogs before we pick her up on Jan 9 or 10th (calling today to get exact date). She is in stall 19 (she is a springer spaniel), say hi to Kiwi for us . Due to the holidays being on the weekend, we may not get down to visit till pickup day :

I think I will make a trip down without the OH..but it is a 6 hr round trip drive to visit

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to NZ View Post
    If you go visit your dogs before we pick her up on Jan 9 or 10th (calling today to get exact date). She is in stall 19 (she is a springer spaniel), say hi to Kiwi for us . Due to the holidays being on the weekend, we may not get down to visit till pickup day :

I think I will make a trip down without the OH..but it is a 6 hr round trip drive to visit
    Aw, Ok, if OH goes it will actually be right around the 8th so he'll say hello to Kiwi in stall 19! But it's a 5 hour drive for us as well, so we'd only be able to visit once and we are still on the fence about visiting because we've heard it makes it harder on the dog.

When I spoke to PetHaven about whether or not to visit, they had some good insight. They said that if your dog tends to bond to other people fairly easily (like ours who bond really easily to friends and dogsitters) then it is sometimes best to just let them stay through their Quarantine period without visiting them at all. This lets them calm down and adapt and bond to the new people a little bit. The reason is that if you come to visit they think it's time to go home and get excited -- then when you leave, they get really sad again and it's a lot for a dog to go up & down, happy/sad each time you visit but then leave...

But they said that if you have a dog that is only comfortable around YOU and won't bond with anyone else, then you should come visit as it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to NZ View Post
    We put a couple sweat shirts in the kennel as well. Our dog is currently at PetHaven, she gets out on the 9th or 10th.
    Are you providing clothng after arriving in NZ, or in transit?

If it transit, don't expect it to stay with the animal as I was under the impression that MAF would remove and destroy them as they could be contaminated (or at least this is what we were told).

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Are you providing clothng after arriving in NZ, or in transit?

If it transit, don't expect it to stay with the animal as I was under the impression that MAF would remove and destroy them as they could be contaminated (or at least this is what we were told).

Ian

We were told nothing apart from the pet would be allowed into NZ (not even leash, harness, belt).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast