Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to start a list of what we can and can't bring?

Default Is it possible to start a list of what we can and can't bring?

I've gone through most of the posts in the 'Making the Move' thread, trying to figure out what I can't bring to NZ. Though I'm still a year or two away from making the move, I'm cleaning out closets and getting rid of clutter in preparation for putting the house up for sale. So it would help to know what I can't take to NZ.

Is it possible to start a thread titled: 'what I can and can't bring to NZ' and pin it to the top of the thread?

So far, I've read that I can't bring:
    fire extinguisher
    pine cones or pine needles
    anything with twig decoration
    raw wood
    Christmas decorations that use the above items

I'm surprised at some of the things I CAN bring!
    spices
    tinned foods
    tea bags
    lawnmower
    outdoor furniture
    barbecue
    gardening equipment
    garden pots

I also have a lot of antique duck and geese decoys. They're hand carved out of wood but I have no idea if they're 'raw' wood. Most were painted at one time. I also have a three foot long wooden sculpture of a fish. Any advice on this?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Dell; 23rd December 2010 at 08:16 AM.

Big No-No according to conversation I had with MAF: Honey or anything with honey in it, including mustards or other jarred/canned items that have honey as an ingredient, but also any lotions, etc -- like Burts Bees stuff too

The movers left behind any aerosol cans like hubby's shaving cream and anything flammable or compressed. They wouldn't pack candles of any kind.

If you ship Prescription Medication you'll have to fax the prescription ahead of time to whomever is doing the customs clearance for you.

We had a decorative / commemorative sword and had to email a description ahead of time (i.e., dull edges-decorative only)

I think that was about all...it was simpler than we thought it would be (so far)

Thanks! I'm guessing no dried milk powder either. (I use it in my bread machine)

Can'twait, when are you leaving? I look forward to sharing a bottle of wine with both of you on your deck (or mine) overlooking the Pacific - or perhaps fish & chips on the wharf in Mangonui!!

I've got flammable solvents and spray cans that I use in the studio. Fortunately I can leave them at my Dad's house in Sedona as I'll be working there for a few months each year.

Hi Dell! Chris leaves on Jan. 3rd, then I'll fly about a week or so later. Still finalizing my leave date.

Yes! I look forward to that glass of Vino with you too! (and those incredibly yum Fish & Chips on the wharf)....

Don't bother with a lawn mower -- just borrow ours ...or our goat, LOL

Here's the official list of prohibited and restricted items: http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...ts/default.htm

and here's a contact email if you have any questions: feedback@customs.govt.nz

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Here's the official list of prohibited and restricted items: http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...ts/default.htm

and here's a contact email if you have any questions: feedback@customs.govt.nz
    Many thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by cantwait View Post
    Hi Dell! Chris leaves on Jan. 3rd, then I'll fly about a week or so later. Still finalizing my leave date.

Yes! I look forward to that glass of Vino with you too! (and those incredibly yum Fish & Chips on the wharf)....

Don't bother with a lawn mower -- just borrow ours ...or our goat, LOL
    Gads, why didn't I think of that. I'll just borrow your goat! Better yet, why don't I get my own goat and you can goat sit while I'm in the U.S. for five months of the year! I'll goat sit for you if you goat sit for me!

Hmmm - but maybe if you have one gender goat and I the other, we can go into the goat business!

Safe travels to both of you. Is the cottage ready to live in? Internet hooked up?

contrary to popular belief, goats aren't very good for mowing. (they will "prune" the heck out of any trees or bushes though)

Get a sheep!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    contrary to popular belief, goats aren't very good for mowing. (they will "prune" the heck out of any trees or bushes though)

Get a sheep!
    We used to keep our goat where it it was a little on the wild side where we couldn't use the mower. I haven't seen as many of the little A-frame goat houses lately. Are they not as popular as they used to be?

If you're moving to Wellington, don't bring umbrellas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast