Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Face Time?

Default Apple Face Time?

has anyone used the Apple Face Time (voip) application to keep in contact with family?

I am moving to NZ ahead of my spouse and kids (hopefully only a few months). The Itouch 4 seems to be a nice gadget to make free video calls at no cost (over wifi). Skype video calls work well but carrying a small phone like device (within you wifi area) seems to provide a good balance between connectivity, cost efficiency and convenience.

My husband uses Facetime on his iPhone4 occasionally to speak with his father, once he got it working seemed okay. There was a little lag but it was pretty good.

There's pretty much zero free wifi here though, so you would need to pay for that or set up your own local network.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    There's pretty much zero free wifi here though, so you would need to pay for that or set up your own local network.
    There is some around if you know where to look...

For example, did you know that most McDonalds now offer free wifi access?

For the iTouch, you can also use skype can't you?

Ian

Well considering I refuse to step foot in a McDonalds I didn't know that.

But now that I'm thinking about it- the Marbec's near me has free wifi.

We have iPhone 4's and iPad's (went all Apple this year save for my servers) and this is my experience:

1. We use Facetime a good bit. You will require a decent connection AND a decent Wi-Fi router. If possible get a N Class router with MIMO (or look for one that advertises its great for gaming and media streaming. I use the Belkin PlayMax++ & the DLink XTreme). You want to go with N and preferably something that is labeled as "Dual-Band", ie 2.4 & 5 GHz. This will help with what is called Wi-Fi pollution from your microwave, cordless phones, bluetooth, PS3/360, Refrigerator, Electric dryer (while running) and other Wi-Fi devices. Because it is a higher frequency in theory there should also be great throughput and less latency but if you live in a solid brick or plaster home you may require a repeater.

2. While there is Google Voice & Skype for iOS, neither product is free and neither product works all that well, especially on iOS 4.2.1 (the latest one). Google Voice I believe is currently region restricted in iTunes as well so unless in the US, you're not going to get it (unless you spoof your iTunes location & IP address).

3. Be mindful that internet here isn't like Europe or the US. It works well but I've noticed it will "pause" for 5-10 seconds and then pick up more often than I care to like. It could also be mi conneccion but my neighbours have the same issue so I don't think it's me. I bring this up because with Facetime it may drop your call.

Overall I use Facetime all the time now to contact my family. Instead of having laptops with Skype/Google Voice/Chat I gave my family all iPod Touch 4th gen for when we moved back here. Fairly cheap alternative to what could be fairly expensive phone costs.

To the OP, I would recommend that once you get here, call Voda and get signed up for Mobile Broadband account. They have a Wifi router with a VMC slot. No Term plan for 4GB will set you back about $90 a month.

Dan

There is WiFi on the waterfront in Wellington now

Interesting. I wonder if there's thread that lists all the free wifi hotspots in NZ? Going to look for one now...

Quote Originally Posted by ColeyNZ View Post
    2. While there is Google Voice & Skype for iOS, neither product is free and neither product works all that well, especially on iOS 4.2.1 (the latest one). ...
    According to Skypes website the product is free?

Ian

Skype is free.

Only skype to skype calls are free. Landline calls are extra but skype is really cheap overall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast