Thread: Farmers

Default Farmers

Someone mentioned in the Warehouse thread that you think quality and prices are better at Farmers. I went online to the Farmers website. I was pleasantly surprised by the prices and may change my thinking about bringing small American appliances with me. A DVD player isn't much more than here - ditto with a electric tea kettle, electric mixer and tv. Keep in mind that I was looking at sale prices.

http://catalogues.farmers.co.nz/

I never buy anything not on sale, usually I get things for 50% off. For household electronics I've bought at Briscoes and Farmers- it just depended on who had a better sale when I needed things.

As far as electronics we brought over our flat screen TV (ours was okay to do so, not all are), our computers, and our video game systems. I'm perfectly happy having done so.

Noel Leeming price match for the same item so there's another option too.

And 100% Guiness appliances.

I was also comparing prices -- but mostly for computer stuff @ Harvey Norman. Generally the prices are the same as here with perhaps with a 15% difference (which I suspect could be the GST mark up.

I was thinking of buying a printer and hand carry it over but I saw the same Brother All-in-1 printer for only NZ$99. Buying it in NZ will certainly save me some kgs.

We've bought computer stuff at Dick Smith as they had the best prices for what we were looking for at the time.

After a bad shopping experience at Farmers, I swore I'd not shop there again, but they do have some lovely stuff... I got all our new linen from there. I bought nearly $200 of clothes for work and the sales assistant said "Thank you" - but not to me! - to the other assistant who "folded" my new clothes and stuffed them in a bag. They chatted to each other the entire time and neither of them ever made eye contact with me. I was rather gobsmacked at that!

But, bad training for a couple of people doesn't mean the whole store is crap, so I gave in.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    After a bad shopping experience at Farmers, I swore I'd not shop there again, but they do have some lovely stuff... I got all our new linen from there. I bought nearly $200 of clothes for work and the sales assistant said "Thank you" - but not to me! - to the other assistant who "folded" my new clothes and stuffed them in a bag. They chatted to each other the entire time and neither of them ever made eye contact with me. I was rather gobsmacked at that!

But, bad training for a couple of people doesn't mean the whole store is crap, so I gave in.
    Did you log a complaint with customer services? I know that they take things like that really seriously and like getting feedback on your experiences, especially if you managed to record what the staff names were.

Farmers seem to have regular sales with loads of stuff discounted by 50%, we picked up all the basic necessities for our unfurnished rental, including vacuum cleaner, iron, towels, bedding for five beds, dinner service, cutlery and pan set for $400!!! reduced from $800 and the quality is very good. Last time I went in looking for a hair dryer the assistant told me to come back the next day because they were about to reduce all electricals and I would be able to get it cheaper! I've found the sales staff in Richmond to be really helpful and friendly.