Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUY BUY !!!! Boxing Day Sales

Default BUY BUY !!!! Boxing Day Sales

Did a big spend up at Briscoes today. Makes me wonder the amount of mark up they have on their products to offer 1/2 price off. Some 60% off.

Anyone out for a big spend after Xmas?

... but Briscoes have those kinda sales on all year round!

The Mitre10 sale advert is misleading - there was hardly anything on sale, just their crates of cr@p!

Report on the news had a retailer bemoaning that they were having to sell at cost....... yeah right my heart bleeds for them

An ad of today read "end of decade" - sale; you figure!

... but Briscoes have those kinda sales on all year round!
    Which goes to show the only time to buy at Briscoes is when the price is cut in half.

Wife moaning we should of bought cutlery, cups, & plates there but every store sells them so didn't see the rush.

At Mitre10, the bins offer some savings. For everything else, I would only buy at staff discount which is bigger savings again.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    An ad of today read "end of decade" - sale; you figure!
    Well, technically they are correct but I doubt it is anything special! There seems to be sales on all the time here.

And I'd not buy anything from Briscoes unless there was a sale discount, their non sale prices are pretty steep!

And I'd not buy anything from Briscoes unless there was a sale discount, their non sale prices are pretty steep!
    Another place guilty for this is Katmandu. This kind of practice has become so widespread that it's part of the reason why inflation in NZ is so high.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    Another place guilty for this is Katmandu. This kind of practice has become so widespread that it's part of the reason why inflation in NZ is so high.
    Actually inflation in New Zealand is pretty low, CPI inflation currently running at 1.5%, as compared to the UK which is 3.3%. In the US it is 1.1%.

I find all these constant sales/non-sales "events" quite tedious. It must take them so long to take the signs down and then put them back up the following week. Not to mention the annoying advertising songs....
    Last edited by girlwithanewf; 26th December 2010 at 09:55 PM.

We bought 40" LCD/LED Sharp tv for $1686 and been busy at home since then . I think it almost had 50% discount from HarveyNorman (offer is till 31st Dec I suppose). Oh! and PS3 was out of stock at one of their retail outlet.

Actually inflation in New Zealand is pretty low, CPI inflation currently running at 1.5%, as compared to the UK which is 3.3%. In the US it is 1.1%.
    Actually CPI isn't an accurate figure for inflation but neither are many others. IMO I prefer inflation that is controlled through interest rates set by the reserve bank which influences bank offerings for savings & mortgages). More specifically, the country's 'money supply'. Those that have studied macroeconomics would understand but for a brief idea how 'money supply' relates to inflation, you can read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_supply

Then compare what banks are paying for term deposits compared to banks over in the US and UK. Which means NZ's inflation rate is considerably higher for most of the past 2 or 3 decades. Someone could spend the time online to find a time where NZ interest rates were greatly lower than interest rates in say the US or UK? I know in the past 10 years, i've never seen NZ term deposit rates on their currency pay less than than the US rates for the same period.

From a satire view, one could argue that having overall higher interest rates in a country in the long term is a way of "inflating out of debt" meaning, the mass amounts of $ the country borrowed at the start, would be viewed as lessor value in the future because of higher inflation (time value of $).
    Last edited by Super_BQ; 27th December 2010 at 09:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast