Thread: (Xmas) treat

Default (Xmas) treat

Two walks on "our" house beaches today and yesterday:

Today a seal at Smaills Beach (that happens not only occasionally);
    yesterday a Yellow-Eyed Penguine at Tomahawk Beach (first time for me living here for around five years).

My husband came across one yellow- eyed penguin while he was running on Blackhead Beach in our first year in Dunedin- it was still almost dark and at first he did not realise it was a penguin- the poor thing must have been scared to death, making all sorts of noises

And when his brother visisted the first time, Christmas 2007, we took them to Sandfly Beach and were lucky enough to see one there, too, in broad daylight!
    It is quite special, I think!

On Sandfly Bay it is quite normal to see them; as it is on Victoria Beach. But it is really astonishing seeing them on one of our town beaches.

Default Help save the Yellow-eyed Penguin

I'm doing my bit to help save the Yellow-eyed Penguin via Mainland.

Simply collect the barcodes from Mainland cheese & butter packs. On the packaging is an address to write to to get a wall chart to attach them to. Attach as many as you want 1 barcode = $1 towards the cause and there are 10 spaces on the wall chart. I've probably sent in close to a dozen full wallcharts now. We always by Mainland cheese as its all DS will eat and we also often by their butter so it seemed a really easy way to help.

Alternatively you can join the Yellow-eyed Penguin Trust, write to the trust at PO Box 5409, Dunedin.

Here endeth my public service announcement!

Anneliese

My OH was delighted to have seen a yellow eyed penguin at Sandfly Bay on Sunday night. At first he thought it was a small child until he looked through the binoculars, and then realised, with the aid of the interpretation boards what he was actually seeing. He was delighted, because, prior to this, the only penguins he had seen had been in Edinburgh Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    My OH was delighted to have seen a yellow eyed penguin at Sandfly Bay on Sunday night. At first he thought it was a small child until he looked through the binoculars, and then realised, with the aid of the interpretation boards what he was actually seeing. He was delighted, because, prior to this, the only penguins he had seen had been in Edinburgh Zoo.
    Wonderful!

As I said before that is one of these publicly easily accessible beaches where we see them quite often.

Excuse my ignorance, aren't there any beaches around Christchurch like those?