Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: items bringing on plane, concerned with getting whacked by customs duties

Default items bringing on plane, concerned with getting whacked by customs duties

hello

My husband and I are going to NZ and we are working on getting a LTBV. When we arrive in the plane next month, we will only be guests.

I am bringing in my 1800.00 saddle, 400.00 custom made boots, personal effects and a large amount of gold jewelry, since I do not want to put them into the cargo, if we get a visa

Will I get whacked by Customs on these items? My saddle is used, the boots used, and my jewelry is my own. Please someone, help me

I don't think Customs will be a problem......but if coming in as a Visitor you need to be careful if you are actually intending to stay permanently. The saddle may be a sign to them that you are indeed not intending to leave.

Just a thought....

Neil

Shouldn't be a problem. They're your personal belongings for personal use. Therefore according to this page:http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...rges+apply.htm you should owe nothing on them.

Dilanium has given you the NZ customs website visitors' reference there, as I did on your other thread for immigrants. Have a look round on that whole website, and you should find detail to cover all possible eventualities. If you're still worried, the best thing to do is to contact customs and ask them about your own specific case. You will get decent treatment and a fairly prompt reply (which I know surprises Americans, compared with what you're used to from government departments, but it IS so). And while we here on ENZ are always willing to answer to the best of our knowledge and experience, we aren't anything official, just private people who either have moved to NZ or still hope to do so. If in doubt, ask the government department concerned.

Nevermind customs, just wait for MAF to get your saddle and boots (assumign they have been near the countryside, annimals and vegetation!

Seriously, I'd drop MAF an email now and talk to them about how they need to clean it, and how long that will take them / the costs involved.

Also, there is an issue I seem to remember about goods that arrive in teh country before a visa is issued. So you may get charged the duty. Definately contact them to discuss, but you may be advised to ship the goods (or even fly back and collect them). Someone else had to pay GST on their entire container due to not spotting the rules regarding the date of arrival of goods and the date of issue/activation of visa.

OK not the same situation but I did bring a whole load of sentimentle medals & jewellry with me in my hand luggage & not a word was said, thought they may have said something because of the pins on a lot of the items but nothing, they wern't even looked at.

Default Whacked by Customs

I know that if you have a visa for residence, then you do not have to pay taxes...However, we are coming to NZ and we will not have a visa yet, I believe, since we are coming on a LTBV. Once we are in NZ, we hopefully will eventually get the visa. I want to bring my jewelry and saddle and stuff over because I don't trust them being shipped. (also my laptop). So, we will need to book tickets back to the the USA, but we are hoping we can stay. Therefore, that is the concern with getting charged for stuff we already own...(saddle, camera, clothing, laptop, custom made boots, etecetera)

yes i understand that. However i think that you will face several issues as mentioned above. first that you are intending to stay. So immigration may have a concern. Second maf will definately be interested in the saddle. and finally goods brought in are subject to import duty and gst. there are exemptions for visitors that will be leaving with those goods and for holders of visas to import their used household goods. But as neither of these apply to you then you need to contact customs (and maf) to avoid any surprises. i got email responses the next day both times i emailed them.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem. They're your personal belongings for personal use. Therefore according to this page:http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...rges+apply.htm you should owe nothing on them.

note that this does not apply as the first bullet states that they need to hold a visa

Indeed it does. I assumed they were coming after they had obtained the visa they were after. I can see how it would be read another way though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast