Thread: UK Driving License

Default UK Driving License

Excuse the potentially dumb question, but do I need to organise an NZ driving licence (and if so how) or do I need to get an international one coming from the UK?

You can drive for up to a year on a full UK licence, by which time you need to have taken a scratchcard test to turn it into a NZ one.

But can be worth getting the NZ licence as soon as you can as insurance excesses can be higher until you've held one for a year (ours was $1,000 as opposed to $300 now).

Insurance must depend upon who you go to, I was pleasantly suprised that ASB who I bank with were prepared to give me the benefit of No Claims bonus earned

in the UK on 1 car on all 3 cars we own here.

As far as taking the old scratch card test to get a NZ licence . Buy a copy the Road code. (No don't bother I'll give you ours when you get here) All you will need to

learn thoroughly are the Right turn rules (different to the UK) and anything with Numbers - stopping distances and that really useful stuff like how far in front of

the front seat a load on the roof may project.

Jon

We also got the benefit of our UK no claims bonus also, but having opted for an excess to bring down the premium the amount of excess depended on how long the person driving had held a NZ licence. No NZ licence or less than one year - $1,000, after that $300.

Cool - thanks guys for all that. I'll see you for that book Jon when I start at Beca.

.....only 2 weeks at work to go. Scarey!

If you've got a UK licence with C1E category you can apply for a NZ class 2 licence which lets you drive trucks up to 15,000KG weight. It's the same basic 25 question theory test, but with a different set of 10 additional questions to the car test. You can only get a max of 2 out of the 35 wrong, as opposed to 3 for the car test.

I took mine earlier this week, not that I plan on driving any trucks in the near future, but you never know when it could be useful