Thread: dress for an IT interview in NZ

Default dress for an IT interview in NZ

Hi,

just wanted to ask ... do I need to wear a suit (pants, shirt, tie, jacket) for an IT interview (Programmer) in NZ or is it ok to be less formal (pants + shirt)?

Thanks

To my knowledge you should wear a Suit. But let's wait for other's comments too.

If in doubt, it's better to overdress than be seen as not making an effort to dress up for an interview.

That said, in the last interview I went to just two weeks ago, I was in t-shirt and jeans and got the job (web developer in a small company)

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post
    If in doubt, it's better to overdress than be seen as not making an effort to dress up for an interview.

That said, in the last interview I went to just two weeks ago, I was in t-shirt and jeans and got the job (web developer in a small company)
    Now THAT'S how all interviews should be like

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinAng View Post

Lol !! I would appreaciate the interviewer for not going for the looks

Always overdress unless specifically you are told not. Nobody is ever thought negatively for wearing a suit.

Dan

In my experience, even though most IT people wear shirt and pants day to day, almost everyone wears suit and tie for interviews. You may find that the interviewers themselves have put a tie (and/or jacket) on for the day, so I would advise always going for the formal look...

Keep "weather" in mind, I attended my interview at London office and it was not that warm so opted for striped white shirt, black trouser and coat. Before the interview, I gently removed the coat and kept it around an empty chair!

All the best

I manage a development group of 27 - engineers, DBAs, BAs, testers - so I'm usually on the interviewer side of the fence. I'd be surprised, but not bothered, if you don't show up in a tie. You'd better be good though!

Saying that, if you're coming for a BA position then I'd expect you to suit up. Back room folks? Meh, not so fussy.

A (very good) consultant I know says he doesn't wear a tie to interviews, but does wear a suit. Shows you're a "player", he says! He does wear a tie every day at work though, which is pretty typical of consultants. Contractors usually dress smarter than staff too.

Hope this helps!

Wear a suit. And don't forget to mention it, especially if the interviewer is wearing jeans & T shirt as it will help break the ice.

Also, try to arrive early so that you have time to observe other staff to gauge what the normal dress code is for the company.

BTW I arrived far too early for one interview and the receptionist suggested that I go to the staff canteen to get a coffee and watch the awards for the staff cake-baking competition. There was a large crowd (wearing a mixture or formal & less formal office-wear) and the guy running the good natured show was my interviewer wearing a jeans & T shirt covered in baking flour!