Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alarm monitoring

Default Alarm monitoring

Hi, we moved into a lifestyle property a few weeks ago and it has an alarm which is monitored. We had an alarm in the UK but lived in a terraced house with retired neighbours each side so monitoring was not necessary.
    The telecom engineer said that monitoring (30 per month) is a waste of money but I wondered what other people think?
    We have neighbours but quite far away and they all work.
    Jo

I know they use it at my work- but that's a little different situation. They've even called to make sure everything was okay when I've had to work late and hadn't locked the system at the normal time.

I would personally keep it for peace of mind.

We installed a monitored alarm system in the UK after the being burgled and one of the reasons for choosing my current location was because it has a monitored alarm.

Don't forget to mention it for cheaper contents insurance.

Waste of money if you're in a remote area IMHO.

We did a job at a house in the wop wops and accidentally set the monitored alarm off.
    It took the security company 25 mins to attend the alarm.

We could have emptied the house and got far away in that time.

Nick.

Don't forget to mention it for cheaper contents insurance.
    The savings discount is miniscule at best for residential coverage. One will definitely pay far more $ in monthly monitoring fees than the discount insurance companies will offer.

It's like buying extended warranty on an appliance. If insurance companies took alarm monitoring services more seriously, then the discount would speak for itself. But as insurance coverage goes, no clause exists where they will not cover your home insurance if you do NOT have an alarm system. (in the home appliance case, if the manufacturer stood behind their product, then there should be no need to buy extended warranties - just pick the appliance with the longer warranty)

BTW, alarms only deter... not prevent burglaries.

Quote Originally Posted by jo1966 View Post
    Hi, we moved into a lifestyle property a few weeks ago and it has an alarm which is monitored. We had an alarm in the UK but lived in a terraced house with retired neighbours each side so monitoring was not necessary.
    The telecom engineer said that monitoring (30 per month) is a waste of money but I wondered what other people think?
    We have neighbours but quite far away and they all work.
    Jo
    I have difficulties understanding why you are querying about 30 bucks a month whilst living in a lifestyle property.

Hey I understand the question- $30/month is an extra 12 pack of good beer they could be drinking!

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Hey I understand the question- $30/month is an extra 12 pack of good beer they could be drinking!
    That is my point of reference: Living in that kind it is probably more about champagne than beer...

Not necessarily- it depends whether they're investing in a property to raise their own food therefore saving in the long run or if it's to spread out.

I'm considering a lifestyle block eventually and I'm definitely not about champagne, in fact my OH homebrews all our beer (so $30 a month would mean an extra 22 litres of beer to us).

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    That is my point of reference: Living in that kind it is probably more about champagne than beer...

Oh no it's beer , we leave the "shampoo" to those high faluting city types

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast