Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We have arrived

Default We have arrived

Wow this place is just beautiful. First impressions are of such friendly people, stopping to ask if we need help to find somewhere when looking lost in the city, nothing is too much trouble to help, smiling at our kids all the time, offering biz cards and to introduce me to new friends. The most beautiful place ever, fab beaches and views to die for.

On the down side our trip over was fairly stressful, got to check in with SO much luggage so took ages to check us in, then was over on baggage so had to take 3 cases to shipping (£300 instead of £2000), which I had to leave with my sis to take to x-ray. Then ran to security with only 20m til flight left, said hurried goodbyes to family (prob best that way), and of course having to leave the trolley to go through security meant that we were carrying a huge car seat, 3 trunkies, 3 kids rucksacks, and our own 2 rucksacks and 2 carryons. My daughter fell over then a trunkie strap broke which then fell on her, she was crying I then started (it all got too much) and everyone is just standing around watching I went to the security desk and said will someone please help us we have 10m to get to flight.

Someone did eventually help, carried a case and called ahead to let them know we were coming. Singapore Air were amazing on the plane, they couldn't help enough - just fab. Unfortunately we had delayed take off so arrived late in singapore (btw the kids were great on flight), we got off flight and took everything again through security, luckily gate was in sight when DS vomited all over himself . More stress and late for another flight and still no offer of help at airport.

SA staff again brilliant, now clued in, at arrival in auckland we asked for help in advance, a wonderful woman arrived with wheelchair to take cases through passport control, we went in advance of everyone as we were assisted travel, at luggage collection she called another 3 people to come and help with our 17 cases ( 17) on top of the hand luggage. We then went in convoy through x-ray and out to the shuttle. We had more help in NZ than the airports before and they did it at midnight with a huge smile and friendly chat - this told me more about NZ than anything else.

My advise to anyone travelling with small kids: pack twice as many nappies as you think you will need, take 3 changes of clothes for each child, don't bother taking normal milk they had loads on the plane for us, they had wipes when we ran out, don't bother packing loads of toys, books colouring etc as we did they never got bored enough to look at any of it (could have left 3 rucksacks behind).

Sorry such a long post but might help someone, having never visited NZ most of the flight I was anxious and worried we had made the wrong decision but being here it just feels right. The people are so lovely, the kids love it, I miss my family but they will visit and we have spent today in an amazing park, a beautiful beach then a drive through the countryside. I feel so lucky to have been given such an amazing opportunity to live here, that may change with time, I know times will come when I just want to be with my family but then I have to remember this and our future dreams.

Thanks everyone for helping support this dream

Kia Ora.

Welcome to New Zealand.

Nick. .

Good to hears your success story..

Manukau is part of the supercity so you are in Auckland whether you like it or not

Welcome, and may the good feeling stay with you!

Woohoo! Welcome!!

So pleased for you that that journey is all past and done, and you're going through a bit of peace and happiness.

Good luck!!!

Happy for you......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast