Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sponsoring a partner for residence

Default Sponsoring a partner for residence

Hi there,

We're going to submit our application on the 5th (when INZ opens up again) and I'm confused about the sponsorship side of things. Of course, we have completed INZ 1000 (residency application) and INZ 1178 (partnership support form for residence), but one question suggests I should sponsor her application as well (as I did for her work permit).

On page 23 of the residence application, it asks:

The personal resources I will use are (tick at least one)

- my cash and assets (we're very poor!)
    - a verified definite offer of employment in New Zealand (got that - and she's currently working there)
    - support from family members in New Zealand, verified by attaching the Sponsorship Form for Residence INZ 1024 (yes, we'd like to do this too)

But INZ 1024 seems to ONLY allow for sponsorship of parents and siblings. There are only two categories - Family Parent and Family Sibling.

Do I have the wrong form?

This isn't as clear-cut as the Work Permit application, where we simply stated we were applying for Work Permit - Family-Partnership category and I filled out INZ 1025, where anyone can sponsor the applicant.

On a more general note, we are applying for this after only living together for exactly one year. Half of that year was spent living in her home country, for which we have little evidence, apart from a rental agreement (in her name), a letter from her mother, photographs and boarding passes from holidays we took. I was on an extended tourist visa and unable to have anything in my name. For the second half of the year, we have extensive evidence, including: rental agreements in both Auckland and Christchurch, joint bank accounts, joint phone bills, multiple letters from family, neighbours, work colleagues etc, and evidence of nationwide travel for family funerals, get-togethers and holidays.

Last time I spoke with an immigration officer, he suggested we apply for both a new work permit (as hers is expiring end of Jan) and residency at the same time. Given the fact it may take 5 months for them to get to the residency application, we figure that'll give us another 5 months of 'living together time', which will strengthen our application.

Does anyone think we're pushing things too quickly? She has been in NZ for 8 months already. The reason we need to get residency so badly is they won't accept her high school diploma as university entrance (messed up system we have here), the government is clamping down on admissions and the only way she could currently qualify is to pay $18,000 for a foundation course or earn NCEA Level 3 by re-studying something she already learnt 4 years ago. That would also cost around $15,000. But with residency, she can simply pass an interview and enter via the 20+ system. It may not be around for long!

Sorry for the long post. She is 20 and I'm 25. I hope they won't hold that against us.

Thanks for any advice. Would be nice to have before we possibly throw away ~$2000 we don't really have.

Hi Woodynz,
    it seems as if there has been a change. In the past forms 1000 and 1024 where the correct ones.
    There was a change recently. It might that there are "just" some glitches showing...

Cheers for your response Ralf.

The more I think about this, I'm thinking I might be reading too much into it.

It appears that one does not need to sponsor their partner and sponsorship only applies to parents or siblings.

I find that counter-intuitive, considering sponsorship is encouraged for the work permit, family-partnership category.

Check it again!

The olf 1024, secton C, was about sponsoring "parent, or sibling and addult child" whereas secton D was about "partnership".

from your post I got the impression that this section D is not independant fotm 1178. Thus just a new name but same content. So, I assumef, you would not need to fill in form 1024 now, but only 1000 & 1178.

woody, my wife sponsored her parents for PR here in NZ. Actually, I will give her full credit that I had no part in helping her out. Not that I was against anything, just that I wanted to tell others that she applied and was approved P.R. status for both of her parents all on her own merit. All too often when people look at us (i'm speaking at my relatives here), they assume, "oh the husband has lots of $$, so she will have no issues". But really, the whole application process was pretty straight forward back then - NZIS may have changed requirements.

The application went in say about 2 years ago. I'm trying to guess the time period but the whole process went too fast. Seemed like it only took 6 months to get approval. There was no interview and no further questions were asked. Yes, the whole process went too fast because after the visa approval, we kinda wasn't sure where to put them in NZ. The PR visa required them to arrive in NZ 1 year after approval. Her father won't be here until the month the entry visa expires - talk about no urgency in flying over.

My cousin's wife had a hitch in her application. NZIS queried why it would be important for her parents to come over if her brother would be fit to take care of them while in China. Hrm. quite recently a lot of people i've come across had hitches and road blocks on their applications. Problems like asking to substantiate their reasons (ie. documentations) and often, the applicant does have such documentation. At the end their application was approved.

Thanks Ralf. I get what you're saying, however, form 1178 doesn't have anything about sponsorship. Perhaps they took it out completely under the last revision of form 1024.

Thanks for telling me about those experiences, Super BQ.

Yeah - I can see how 6 months could be too quick in some situations, but for us, it would be just about perfect. But the faster, the better!

Only a few months ago the partner of our daughter got his PR granted. No real issues there: She had been approved as "part" of my application several years ago. Now herself being established here she could bring him along; only hurdle being their age (<25), but overall it was a quick process.

Quote Originally Posted by woodynz View Post
    Thanks Ralf. I get what you're saying, however, form 1178 doesn't have anything about sponsorship. Perhaps they took it out completely under the last revision of form 1024.
    It looks to me as though 1178 is the new 1024 (which also looks like it's been revamped, removing all mention of partnership). Certainly the word "sponsor" has been substituted with "support", but it's essentially the same form - it's aim being to prove that the Kiwi partner of the person applying for residence is eligible to do so.

Since you only need to provide one of the three options listed in your original post, and you can do two of the three, forget about 1024 and include that variety of info in a letter from the family - notarised statutory declaration, if you want to make it properly official!! - instead. No point using the wrong form, as it will be disregarded.

Good luck

Awesome. Thanks Sophie. That was just the clarification I was looking for. Since INZ is shut till the 5th, I was looking to get as much of our application complete by then. Big help ...

Many thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast