Thread: Blood Tests in New Zealand

Default Blood Tests in New Zealand

I am a UK resident and take warfarin for deep vein thrombosis. As such I have to have an INR blood test every week or so to update my warfarin dose. I shall be travelling in NZ for two months from mid-January. Can any-one advise me on how I can obtain this blood test?
    David E

Visit a local medical centre and ask them.

Just signed up with my local medical centre to collect a repeat prescription and they gave me a form to take to a local blood test business for a whole battery of tests.

Not sure what the deal would be if you weren't signed up as a regular patient. Who needs to the monitor / regulate your medication?

Hello and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadson View Post
    I am a UK resident and take warfarin for deep vein thrombosis. As such I have to have an INR blood test every week or so to update my warfarin dose. I shall be travelling in NZ for two months from mid-January. Can any-one advise me on how I can obtain this blood test?
    David E
    You would need a lab order from an NZ physician (who will also probably want to manage your dose adjustments). An urgent care place (in most larger towns) should be able to arrange this. The actual blood draw can be done just about anywhere (hospital, freestanding lab, doctor's office, etc). There is not much POS testing (fingerstick) yet in NZ, so anywhere you go will likely require an IV draw.

Please check to see what's covered under NHI reciprocity, and buy travel insurance if needed...all these blood draws/MD visits will add up.
    Last edited by 72andsunny; 5th January 2011 at 08:24 AM.

That's an awkward one..

I need blood tests less regularly, but found it easy enough to get referred to a lab by my new GP, but then I'm settling here and have PR rather than visiting.

Presumably you will also be moving around, so getting the tests done at one centre might not be possible. How long will you be in any one place?

I just looked at my GP practice's website to see if they had fees for non-resident visits listed, but no joy.

Regards the reciprocal agreement on medical treatment, I'm not sure you'd be covered due to the wording:

A United Kingdom (UK) citizen (passport holder) is eligible for treatment (medical, hospital and related) on the same basis as a New Zealand citizen if they:

- are ordinarily resident in the UK (including England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Island of Jersey and the Balliwick of Guernsey, comprising the islands of Guernsey, Alderney, Herm, Jethou and Sark) AND

- are on a temporary stay in New Zealand (a temporary stay would be any stay that was not permanent, and to become permanent they would need to have a residence permit or NZ citizenship) AND

- require medical treatment which, in the opinion of a medical practitioner (or dentist for people under 19 years), needs prompt attention for a condition that arose after arrival into New Zealand, OR became, or without treatment would have become, acutely exacerbated after arrival.

What is meant by “acutely exacerbated” in the UK agreement?

A good working definition would be a pre-existing condition that:

- was stable when the person commenced travel AND

- was not expected to deteriorate during the time of the stay in New Zealand AND

- deteriorated and required treatment in New Zealand before the person was able to travel again.
    Best wishes in your search for answers!!

We are visitors and had blood tests + repeats, needed for our PR application. We visited a local GP who referred us to the local laboratory. Can't remember the fee but it certainly wasn't exorbitant, (say under $30?). All very quick and efficient.

Thumbs up Blood Test in New Zealand

Many thanks for all your useful replies. It would seem that my blood letting will be fairly straight forward now that I know, from your replies, the general procedure.
    With regards
    David E