Thread: Got Job Offer but Permit Expiring Soon

Default Got Job Offer but Permit Expiring Soon

Hi,
    I'm in Wellington on a Graduate Job Search work permit which expires Mid-Feb. I received a job offer in late December with the joining date of 13th January. I need to apply for a work visa before my current permit expires. I have already got the Police clearance certificate but am still waiting to get my medical done as all the centres are closed this week.
    I've been told that the work visa application takes upto 2 months for a decision. What should I do in this situation? Should I join on the 13th and hope to get my visa before my permit expires? Do I have enough time left to be able to make it? Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pickwick View Post
    Hi,
    I'm in Wellington on a Graduate Job Search work permit which expires Mid-Feb. I received a job offer in late December with the joining date of 13th January. I need to apply for a work visa before my current permit expires. I have already got the Police clearance certificate but am still waiting to get my medical done as all the centres are closed this week.
    I've been told that the work visa application takes upto 2 months for a decision. What should I do in this situation? Should I join on the 13th and hope to get my visa before my permit expires? Do I have enough time left to be able to make it? Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Do NOT start working without a valid visa!

Get in contact with both your employer tlo inform them and INZ to ask for an extension. BTW I would assume you could it granted within two weeks; as it was with me back then.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Do NOT start working without a valid visa!

Get in contact with both your employer tlo inform them and INZ to ask for an extension. BTW I would assume you could it granted within two weeks; as it was with me back then.
    My Graduate Job Search permit allows me to work full time for any employer, so if I do start working it won't be on an invalid visa (atleast till mid-Feb).

It will be great if it can be granted in 2 weeks! The official response time is 45 working days though. I've tried talking to the employer but the offices are yet to open after the Christmas break (they had notified me of the offer on the evening before the Christmas break started). Hopefully I can talk to someone in the HR department next week.

Ask NZIS. Be honest and they will help you sort it all out.

Hi,

Just to add a piece of information. Please,make me correct if I am wrong. There is a new visa called "interim Visa" for a situation like yours I guess this visa is coming in force this year but I am not sure when. I suggest Pickwick to read it on INZ website.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Akash View Post
    Hi,

Just to add a piece of information. Please,make me correct if I am wrong. There is a new visa called "interim Visa" for a situation like yours I guess this visa is coming in force this year but I am not sure when. I suggest Pickwick to read it on INZ website.

Good Luck
    Thanks, I've looked into that. In my case where I have an open work permit and applying for a work visa for specific employer, the interim visa will be a visitors visa, which won't help me retain the job.