Thread: If I wanted to start a business in NZ....

Default If I wanted to start a business in NZ....

I live in Arizona. Yesterday, I had lunch at Taco del Mar, and while I was eating, decided something along the lines of Taco del Mar, would go over really well in NZ....especially with all the Americans there. www.tacodelmar.com.
    It's good Mexican-style food served in much the same way as Subway.

It took me a long time to learn to like refried beans and I find most Kiwis don't care for them - but the menu could be tweaked a little to suit Kiwi tastes.

I still have Kiwi taste buds and I love their soft tacos in a flour tortilla. Chicken or fish, sliced cabbage or lettuce, tomato, a little cheese and a very mild pico de gallo. Why wouldn't this go over well in NZ? (I'm an artist - no desire to go into the food business - just suggesting it for someone else)

Hmmmm, Tacos

Default Nice idea

One thing about kiwis is that the food scene over here is rapidly expanding with lots of new international flavors appearing on the scene. Tacos is a good one. There are some Tex Mex places here already. Can you find out who the brand holder is, as the key will be securing the relationship with them and the rights to represent and offer the brand (franchise), effectively becoming the NZ franchisor.

There are a few Tex-Mex places around but not like you see in the US with chains like Taco-del-Mar. I have been here for a while now and have only see a handful of Mexican restaurants and I have traveled all over the country.

You see take-a-ways for all sorts of different foods, but I have yet to see a Mexican one.

Personally, I think something like this would be pretty good here and do well.

Just make sure you find the right location/region!

Here in town two mexican restaurants failed in recent times. The one a decent restaurant (no take away) and the other more like a taverne (take away "possible" though only side business). There was a short period when both were open at the same time but both of them also were in the situation of being the sole such one in the city.

Wish you all the best!!

(Perhaps you could do so one here; I surely miss this option!)

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Just make sure you find the right location/region!

Here in town two mexican restaurants failed in recent times. The one a decent restaurant (no take away) and the other more like a taverne (take away "possible" though only side business). There was a short period when both were open at the same time but both of them also were in the situation of being the sole such one in the city.

Wish you all the best!!

(Perhaps you could do so one here; I surely miss this option!)

The right-city would be key.

In my opinion, Palmerston North is big on take-a-ways (probably due to the large student population who love that sort of food) and a Mexican one would due well here as there is not one as far as I know. The Taco-del-Mar business model is a good one as it could be a take-a-way as well as a sit-down type restaurant.

We also lived in Napier for a spell, and something like this would probably struggle there I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TJH View Post
    The right-city would be key.

In my opinion, Palmerston North is big on take-a-ways (probably due to the large student population who love that sort of food) and a Mexican one would due well here as there is not one as far as I know. The Taco-del-Mar business model is a good one as it could be a take-a-way as well as a sit-down type restaurant.

We also lived in Napier for a spell, and something like this would probably struggle there I think.
    That is why I am so surprised that these Mexican style restaurants did not work here. We are a population of 120,000 (as you will know from my location). 20,000 of them are students. During Xmas break we have lots of tourist in town.

I live in Arizona. Yesterday, I had lunch at Taco del Mar, and while I was eating, decided something along the lines of Taco del Mar, would go over really well in NZ....especially with all the Americans there.
    I've tried Taco del Mar and it's not that great. I mean, i'd be happier eating at Taco Bell (which is a KFC fast food style of serving) and would pay a lot less.

Christchurch has a few mexican restaurants. None that have impressed me and what I find discerning is that for the price you pay, the quality isn't there. Like it looks good on plate but they buff it up with all veggies. The other problem is in NZ, produce doesn't come in consistent quality as in N. America. Meaning when tomatoes are at $8/kg in winter, the restaurant ain't going to serve much of that. (in summer it crashes to less than $2/kg). Dairy isn't really cheap here either so you miss out on a large servings of cream and cheddar cheese.

It's funny how I have no desire to eat at Subway in NZ but when i'm in Canada, it's a common treat. (probably due to the huge difference in price). Quiznos anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    I've tried Taco del Mar and it's not that great. I mean, i'd be happier eating at Taco Bell (which is a KFC fast food style of serving) and would pay a lot less.

Christchurch has a few mexican restaurants. None that have impressed me and what I find discerning is that for the price you pay, the quality isn't there. Like it looks good on plate but they buff it up with all veggies. The other problem is in NZ, produce doesn't come in consistent quality as in N. America. Meaning when tomatoes are at $8/kg in winter, the restaurant ain't going to serve much of that. (in summer it crashes to less than $2/kg). Dairy isn't really cheap here either so you miss out on a large servings of cream and cheddar cheese.

It's funny how I have no desire to eat at Subway in NZ but when i'm in Canada, it's a common treat. (probably due to the huge difference in price). Quiznos anyone?
    I have been to Canada many times and Quiznos is very cool. Their stuff truly rocks no doubt - wonder if I start a franchise in NZ that mimics them

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    The other problem is in NZ, produce doesn't come in consistent quality as in N. America. Meaning when tomatoes are at $8/kg in winter, the restaurant ain't going to serve much of that. (in summer it crashes to less than $2/kg). Dairy isn't really cheap here either so you miss out on a large servings of cream and cheddar cheese.

Could always grow your own