Thread: If you're moving to NZ and have food allergies or celiac

Default If you're moving to NZ and have food allergies or celiac

First, NZ is very food allergy and celiac aware - more so than the US. You often see signs in restaurants asking customers to inform the wait staff of food allergies, etc. There are also lots of gluten-free products available and gluten-free meals aren't that difficult to find in restaurants.

I'm allergic to peanuts. I find it much harder to buy processed food in the grocery stores in NZ, particularly ice-cream, crackers and cookies. They invariably have the 'may contain peanuts...blah blah blah'. I'm guessing those with treenut, milk, egg allergies (etc.) will have the same difficulty.
    Also, lots of pre-made satay in the butcher shops and restaurant meals with peanut sauces, including pizza.

In the US, companies such as Kraft are so huge, they can afford to have dedicated lines that are peanut-free but not so in NZ with smaller manufacturers. Even Australian products are usually 'may contain'. When I'm in NZ I get a book-a-bach so that I can do my own cooking which makes eating much easier.

If you are peanut allergic - bring your own chocolate to NZ. It's difficult to find peanut-free chocolate.
    Last edited by Dell; 7th January 2011 at 05:55 AM.

Re "may contain ..."

I think this is not so much about the processing but about the labelling. In different regions there are different regulations for what the label must state and also under which circumstances. E.g. when the recipe for the chocolate is without peanuts but it this chocolate is manufactured in the same building as others with peanuts it may or may not be compulsory to add "may contain ..."

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Re "may contain ..."

I think this is not so much about the processing but about the labelling. In different regions there are different regulations for what the label must state and also under which circumstances. E.g. when the recipe for the chocolate is without peanuts but it this chocolate is manufactured in the same building as others with peanuts it may or may not be compulsory to add "may contain ..."
    Yes, you're right. In the US it is not required to post 'may contain' - it's up to the manufacturer. Those avoiding all traces should call the manufacturer to ask if the product was produced on shared equipment. Ditto with NZ.

Yah but if a product is made to say peanut free - then it really means no peanuts.

My problem about buying the desired product in NZ has nothing to do with being available or not because if they did have them on the store shelves, you can bet your boot it will be priced to gouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    My problem about buying the desired product in NZ has nothing to do with being available or not because if they did have them on the store shelves, you can bet your boot it will be priced to gouge.
    In the months I spent silently reading this forum, I noticed a small number of complaints from people about “price gouging” or similar; most, although not all, originated from your good self, and often seemed to be made in comparison with Canada.

I’d like to consider these complaints logically. I’ll begin by stating that New Zealand is a free market economy; it erects fewer barriers to starting a business than are present almost anywhere else on this beautiful and unique planet we are privileged to call home. This doesn’t mean there are no barriers, but there are fewer overall than elsewhere.

The free market has a consistent track record of removing inefficient businesses, replacing them with businesses that, quite literally, deliver the goods. Price gouging businesses cannot survive for more than a short time in a true free market economy.

So we quickly reach the conclusion that either price gouging in New Zealand is minimal, or New Zealand is not a true free market economy. Yet, in international economic comparisons, New Zealand is invariably reported to be one of the freest and most transparent markets in the world. The Wall Street Journal identifies New Zealand as the fourth freest economy in the world, beaten only by Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia. Transparency International identifies New Zealand as the least corrupt country in the world, sharing first place with Denmark and Singapore.

If the price gouging you talk about is real, it can only exist temporarily in New Zealand’s free market. If the price gouging you talk about is real, it follows that there exists an unequivocal opportunity for entrepreneurially inclined migrants to grind all of these inefficient, badly run, price-gouging New Zealand companies into the dust. Yet there is no evidence of this happening. Logically this means that New Zealand’s businesses are actually efficient, well-run, and price competitive. Prices for a variety of goods might be more expensive in New Zealand than elsewhere, but this is perhaps a reflection of New Zealand’s relatively small population and relatively high degree of geographical isolation, not of price gouging.

You still don’t agree? Then here is your opportunity to become a consumers’ champion, and transform New Zealand; make it a better place for us all. Spread the word among Canada’s, nay the world’s whiz kids about how easily they can beat the useless Kiwi businesses and make a fortune down under. Otherwise, accept that the majority of prices in New Zealand reflect free market conditions and do not reflect price gouging. Then relax, have a beer, have a laugh with your friends, take the kids for a paddle in Hagley Park and plan a barbie or a boat trip.

I'll finish with two quotes I like.

Most people would rather be certain they are miserable, than risk being happy - Robert Anthony.

The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up - Mark Twain.
    Last edited by Johnnie Walker; 8th January 2011 at 02:46 AM.

That being said, the products I find to be 'expensive' in NZ grocery stores are often the processed foods. I seldom buy anything processed and eat just a little meat, local veggies/fruits, etc. and I make my own bread. Granted, I'm not currently living in NZ but I spend a month or more there every year - and as I rent a house through book-a-bach I have a kitchen and therefore do my own cooking, so I've got a pretty good idea of what food prices are like in NZ.

I live in the US where I can go to Wal-mart and buy 5 lbs of unbleached/white flour for $2.88. I'll gladly pay three times that amount in NZ to live in a small country with a small population without a Wal-Mart in every town. This is one of the many reasons why I'm moving back to NZ.

Very much enjoyed this post and second it re (perception of) gouging!

I just could bring myself to write in to that extent.

I'm glad you liked it ralf.

Adding to the transparency issue, here's an article from Canada's Globe and Mail newspaper today.

Canada ranks last in freedom of information

The study by a pair of British academics looked at the effectiveness of freedom-of-information laws in five parliamentary democracies: Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, the United Kingdom and Canada.

New Zealand placed first and Canada last.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1863083/