Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suburbs for a hospital employee

Question Suburbs for a hospital employee

Hi,

I know there are a lot of threads in the forum about different suburbs in Auckland but what suburb would you suggest for someone who:

1) Works in the hospital
    2) Needs to be on-call - having to go back to the hospital in the middle of the night for work
    3) Doesn't want to breath city-polluted air
    4) A safe area
    5) No children. Therefore, school is out of the equation.
    6) Doesn't want to spend more than 1 hour commuting to work, and vice-versa after work.
    7) Doesn't want to pay more than NZD600, and would like a 3BR place (keeping fingers crossed).

I've been doing a lot of research on the internet - trademe/realestate.co.nz. I have read that areas to avoid are those in south and west auckland. I've looked at Parnell/Ponsonby/Newmarket/Mission Bay (expensive but nice)/Kohimarama (expensive but nice too)/Epsom. I will be looking at North Shore i.e. Birkenhead.

Anywhere else?

PS: When I say "look/looked/looking", I mean on the internet. Therefore, I have no idea in terms of distance of these areas from the hospital.

Which hospital?

And about the distances, do use one of the online map services - Googlemaps, or Wise's, for instance - to check this out. You may also find it useful to look at the Auckland transport system. http://www.maxx.co.nz/

A lot of ADHB employees live in Howick or Bucklands Beach. Driving in at night for on calls should be fast as no traffic- 20/25 mins?

You can get a small 3 brd town house in Kohi/Mission Bay for $650. But you could also look at Meadowbank where prices are lower. In particular, Gowling Drive is reasonable.

My wife works with the AHB at the Starship, we are living in West Auckland, which is a big place, so don't know why this is an area to avoid. I sometimes take her in to work in the morning outside of rush hour and can leave my house, drop her off and be back in about 45-50 minutes. We are living in a 3 bedroom nice place for considerably less than $600ish in Te Atutu South.

If you explore there are some great places to live in West Auckland with easy access to the City outside of peak times so IMO would give it a bit more research.

kejktfc

buy the book where to live in Auckland that will help!

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry, forgot to mention it's ADHB.

I have been using GoogleMap, which gives an estimate but I really appreciate from those who have real life experience i.e. traffic congestion situation at different times of the day.

The website I looked at stated to avoid west for the same reason one should avoid the south. Then again, the map from Insuburbia Guide includes Pt. Chevalier, Herne Bay & Mt. Eden in west auckland... and I heard these places are safe. That's why I decided to come to this forum and ask you all.

Hi, I will definitely do more research on west auckland. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by kejktfc View Post
    My wife works with the AHB at the Starship, we are living in West Auckland, which is a big place, so don't know why this is an area to avoid. I sometimes take her in to work in the morning outside of rush hour and can leave my house, drop her off and be back in about 45-50 minutes. We are living in a 3 bedroom nice place for considerably less than $600ish in Te Atutu South.

If you explore there are some great places to live in West Auckland with easy access to the City outside of peak times so IMO would give it a bit more research.

kejktfc

Thank you for the suggestions. More options, the better

Quote Originally Posted by Kea View Post
    A lot of ADHB employees live in Howick or Bucklands Beach. Driving in at night for on calls should be fast as no traffic- 20/25 mins?

You can get a small 3 brd town house in Kohi/Mission Bay for $650. But you could also look at Meadowbank where prices are lower. In particular, Gowling Drive is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by anothertrekker View Post
    Sorry, forgot to mention it's ADHB.
    ADHB is the disctrict health board, not a hospital. You cold work for ADHB in a great number of locations all over Auckland.

Just mentioning this because if you tell people you work at Auckland Hospital, or Starship, or Greenlane, etc will give people an idea of the actual location.

Daniela

Starship

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    ADHB is the disctrict health board, not a hospital. You cold work for ADHB in a great number of locations all over Auckland.

Just mentioning this because if you tell people you work at Auckland Hospital, or Starship, or Greenlane, etc will give people an idea of the actual location.

Daniela

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast