Thread: MAF - Oops

Default MAF - Oops

Just hypothetically. If someone had a neice who in a very well meaning way posted them a Christmas card that arrived a bit late, but included a bag of 'Reindeer food' to attract Santa's sleigh which in reality was a heady mix of red glitter and raw cereal oats what should they do with it?

I'm guessing take it in to MAF and definately not bin it. Also a quick note to the niece's parents may be in order too......

Just asking on behalf of a 'friend' of course.

I don't think it would have even occurred to me to think about it. I suppose you could burn them? I would probably have fed it to the chickens.

Sending it to MAF would be good option. We received one of our wooden artifact decayed beyond recognition, MAF overlooked it during inspection and we sent it back (through movers) to MAF, just to be on safe side before it spread onto other stuff.

Called them, and apparently it's safe.

But I feel better to have checked.

a "friend" of mine recently received some Tabouli (bulgar wheat) from a relative in another country

my "friend" did not know how it got past MAF so my "friend" disposed of it

*burp*

My OH LOVES popcorn and there is a brand in the US that we loved. A friend sent it to us for a Christmas gift and MAF took it. They left us a lovely note that they were holding it ransom. For a mere $30 and "heating" it we could have it back. Excuse me? Ummmm, heating popcorn will make it POP! ughhh. My poor, innocent popcorn.....

When we moved over, I had to give away HUNDREDS of lbs (or kilos) of organic dry beans, spelt, wheat, etc. all in the sealed, stamped bags.

I spent several hours calling NZ trying to find out if I could bring it--which they said "yes but it has to be heat treated" (that took 20 calls to get the answer) and then another 50 calls and hours on hold to try to find out HOW MUCH it would cost. Never did get an answer on how much!!

And heat treating isn't exactly good for your food!! So we gave it all away

Then when I saw how much it would cost to replace this stuff at Bin Inn here--I almost fainted!!

Don't know how Bin Inn gets this kind of stuff into the country??? Their signs say "not heat treated"

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    When we moved over, I had to give away HUNDREDS of lbs (or kilos) of organic dry beans, spelt, wheat, etc. all in the sealed, stamped bags.
    I feel your pain. We did the same thing. Corn, soybeans, wheat, beans etc.

I made my own bread and ground my own wheat for it and it was hard to see it all go.

I do the same for corn bread (grind corn) and it had to go too. I miss corn bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickfin View Post
    I feel your pain. We did the same thing. Corn, soybeans, wheat, beans etc.

I made my own bread and ground my own wheat for it and it was hard to see it all go.

I do the same for corn bread (grind corn) and it had to go too. I miss corn bread.
    Me, too!
    But I didn't bring a grinder here (I think it was in the lost kitchen box--we lost so much to the movers ) and the cost here is

You can get most of the dried stuff at Bin Inn. But you can buy dry corn (in the right season only) from the feed stores. Or look on trade me.

I searched and searched (see old threads) and then figured out where to get it. I have a 25 kg bag in a bucket in my garage right now

But I have it to make corn tortillas!!

I use polenta to make corn bread!