Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions re flight from West Coast (US) to AKL

Default Questions re flight from West Coast (US) to AKL

Hi,
    I know I asked questions before re flights from Dulles (Washington DC) to AKL but I am now ready to book flights for the trip to activate our PR visas..yeah!!

I have a couple more questions if you can indulge me one more time. We are flying Air New Zealand from Dulles to LA or SF and then change to flight to AKL. However we end up with long layovers in LA both ways with the best prices, dates and times for our schedule.
    I am working with husband's and my work schedule and the kids school. (if we take more than 15 days off they drop them school even though they are Pre K and K!).

Has anyone booked 2 separate flights, 1 domestic and then international and has anyone stayed over at the Hilton LAX airport? And has anyone used the economy skycouch on the AKL to LA flight?
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks.

I looked at Qantas but they are very expensive.

Congratulations on reaching that milestone!

I seem to remember reading that people had had problems with baggage allowances not matching up, internal flight to LAX/AKL. It may not be such a big thing for you as this isn't your final move, but perhaps worth looking at.

Hello Hagabel,

I had a flight from NZ to LA and stayed a few days in LA with a friend before flying on to Washington state. I would recommend staying over in LA anyway because the International terminal is separate and far from the domestic, plus you have to go through security again ( at least the last time I traveled that route)

Sky couches sound cool, but I haven't tried them. We're hoping for a bassinet for our kid, but he's only 6 months, your kids probably wouldn't fit

Cheers, and good luck!

I booked two different flights to get to NZ with a long layover in LA. I stayed at a local airport hotel one night (I think the Marriot - got a Price Line deal) and then got on the Auckland flight the next day. Even with the extra baggage fees they charged on the US domestic flights plus the hotel it was much cheaper than booking one ticket from my original location. I was coming from Alaska so that probably has something to do with this though.

Additionally, flights will be much cheaper if you wait to fly during the NZ winter season. I saw the Air NZ LAX to Auckland flight get as low as $799 USD last year during this time.

@TJH - awesome BLOG! Love the pics

My concern with booking the two legs seperately were twofold.

1.) If the flight is delayed due to weather or anything then you miss your connection, then you are out of luck. They do not have to honor your flight or rebook you.

2.) If your baggage is lost, it is not forwarded to your new flight or destination.

I was recently looking at the LAX or SFO to AKL and it was only going to save me ~$100 US so it was not worth it to me to take those chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    And has anyone used the economy skycouch on the AKL to LA flight?.
    No-one has as it's not in use / available yet.

If you book your domestic flights separately from your int'l, you will have domestic baggage restrictions. Most airlines (except Southwest) charge about $25 for your first checked suitcase and $35 for the second. But if you book with AirNZ from Dulles or BWI to AKL, the int'l baggage regulations should apply to your domestic leg. (1 piece, max weight 50lbs)

If you don't break up the trip in SFO or LAX, you'll have a five hour flight - then 11 or 12 hours to NZ, which makes for a long day. But NZ flights are easier as they leave at night and arrive in AKL in the early morning....which is great if you can sleep on the flt.

You can probably get a good deal at LAX or SFO on a priceline hotel. (I think someone else suggested this too)

I just paid $1350 for an AirNZ ticket from Phoenix to SFO to AKL, early March. PHX to SFO leg is with USAir.

We flew on separate flights--DFW to LAX--(we paid about $100 for extra luggage on this leg).
    Then LAX to Sydney to Chch!

We didn't have much of a layover in LA unfortunately--as I have loads of friends there and we didn't have any time to see anyone!

But we saved a bunch of money doing it this way--about $4000! So worth it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    No-one has as it's not in use / available yet.
    Furthermore, for a while once it goes into service, it will be on exactly one airplane. More to come with time, obviously, but you may not be able to bank on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast