Thread: Resident Visa - What happens if we miss the entry date?

Default Resident Visa - What happens if we miss the entry date?

Dear forum members,

Wish you all a very happy new year 2011. May this year be filled with dreams fulfilled.

One question: I got my resident visa last year and this year I have to enter into NZ but due to some issues I dont think I will be able to make it by that date.

What happens if I dont enter by that date? Is there a possibility of getting it extended? Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know: When you miss it then you miss out.

Our son was included in our PR-approval then. We lived here, he in Europe; he couldn't make in time and though we asked it has been declined. (And yes he missed it by merely two months.)

You have to use your visa by the date written on it, or it will lapse, and everything you've done will have been for nothing.

However, remember that activating the visa can be done by merely a short visit - in theory, you could get a plane out again on the same day, even. Once the visa is activated, you have some time to sort out your affairs. As long as you arrive in NZ intending to stay within two years of activation, all will be well with INZ.

Activation is only setting foot in country and getting your passport stamped as someone else mentioned.

I have never heard about someone getting an extension. If you miss the date, you no longer have residency.

Thanks everyone for the quick reply. I will plan a short visit and keep the visa active.