Thread: Is it even possible?

Default Is it even possible?

Hello out there. This is my 1st post but after reading some of the forums on here i am confident you will all be a very good help! My name is tiffany, i live in the state of Connecticut in the US. I have lived here my whole life and want to make a MAJOR change! I have been researching NZ for several months now and i would like to formulate a plan to move. I will be taking my 9yr old son and my 17 yr old cousin. My husband passed so its just me. I've read on the immigration web site about the job lists i could qualify for a work visa. but what i would love to do is go to college there to become a nurse. Its almost impossible to work and go to school here. Is it possible to go to school and get a job as an immigrant to NZ? Or should I try to get my degree in the states first?

Welcome Tiffany

Tiffany, I can't answer your questions, but I can tell you that anything is possible!

My wife is studying to be a NZ nurse at Massey here in NZ. PM me and we can try to answer any specific questions. It will pretty hard to get a NZ nurse job right out of an US university as their entry level jobs are tailored for new NZ graduates. Nearly all of the people they recruit from overseas have experience.

You could work and study but it would be very hard with 2 kids to make enough to survive in my opinion. My wife works part-time about 20 hrs a week and that is about the max she can do and still focus enough attention on studies, and we have no children. Most older single people in her class which work and study are just getting by and they are only supporting themselves.

I would be concerned about including your cousin on your application. I really have no idea of the rules and regulations on this issue but it would be something to explore.

Do you have custody? I realize you said 17 years old but maybe you have some legal arrangement?

Can anybody comment on how this would work when applying for PR or visas?

That was my first thought too Grumpy Goat. Also, tuition would be as an international student and depending on what you are used to in terms of university tuition, it can be considered quite high here.

Thanks for all the quick responses! My cousin will be an adult and applying for a visa individually. My main concern is myself and my son. I don't have a college degree and am really concerned I won't be able to get a job there. I'be worked a lot of jobs but am considering going back to school and getting a degree first.

If you do a nursing degree in the US make sure it's a 4 year degree or they won't accept it here (IIRC).

Default is it even possible?

wow, it's a hard one, if you are that keen on NZ then can you come here as a visitor? for as long a period as you can afford. This may sound bizarre but I think your only chance is to hope to meet a nice kiwi guy (there are such things, haha) whilst on your holiday, then he can sponsor you for a longer stay.

A cheap way to live here is to do Wwoofing! You do half a days work in return for board (http://www.wwoof.co.nz - that's how I met my lovely lady from Hong Kong).

Best bus service here is www.nakedbus.com and you can join backpackers hostel club www.bbh.co.nz also get a sim card for your phone from www.vodafone.co.nz

good luck, oh by the way, this site might help www.nursingcouncil.org.nz

Hello and welcome.