Thread: Sunrise n Sunset in NZ

Default Sunrise n Sunset in NZ

I was just wondering at what time does sunrise and sunset happens in NZ, and Napier in particular ??????

I guess in winter its gets dark too early , not sure. If anybody can let me know??

Quote Originally Posted by Vishal View Post
    I was just wondering at what time does sunrise and sunset happens in NZ, and Napier in particular ??????

I guess in winter its gets dark too early , not sure. If anybody can let me know??
    The Royal Astronomical Society of New Zealand provides profound information on: http://www.rasnz.org.nz/ . There is a folder called Sun Rise & Set linking to
    Sun Rise and Set in New Zealand
    The table (sic not copied here by me) gives the times of Sun rise and Sun set for four centres in New Zealand. These can be used for any year as times will not vary by more than a minute or two on the same date from year to year. Times are for a horizon level with the observer and do not allow for hills or mountains obscuring the horizon."

This table looks about right to me: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=567

NB: It's not the sun that will wake you up in the morning, but the birds who will start chirping an hour before it comes up.

8 Jan 2011 5:54 a.m. 8:42 p.m.
    9 Jan 2011 5:55 a.m. 8:42 p.m.
    10 Jan 2011 5:56 a.m. 8:42 p.m.
    11 Jan 2011 5:57 a.m. 8:42 p.m.
    12 Jan 2011 5:58 a.m. 8:42 p.m.
    13 Jan 2011 5:59 a.m. 8:41 p.m.
    14 Jan 2011 6:00 a.m. 8:41 p.m.

I think that they want to know more about maybe June and July.

The shortest day of the year would be June 20th which is:
    20 Jun 2010 Sunrise: 7:32 AM Sunset: 4:55 PM

I like these http://www.gaisma.com/en/dir/nz-country.html as they also show the dusk and dawn. Not a big deal in e.g. NZ but over here during the summer they'll last up to two hours each -- on top of the 4am sunrise and 11pm sunset.

Smile

Thanks for that information buddies.

It's also worth checking a map of NZ against a map of UK/Europe. Turn NZ upside down, lay it alongside the Europe map and line up the latitude lines (eg, 45 degrees northern line with the 45 degree southern line). From memory Christchurch is level with Brittany and Auckland is level with Madrid.

Regarding sunsets, the sunset (dusk) in winter is more Mediterranean, and as said above in another post, is around 4.55pm (with the actual darkness at about 5.30pm).

One big joy is leaving work at 5.00 in daylight Compare this to working in England and seeing it get dark outside the office window at 3.30pm.

Winter just seems so much shorter when at 5pm in NZ the dark evenings are getting lighter day-by day, instead of an English 5pm sunset being a prelude to three months of grim, cold, wet darkness.

I think of NZ as having nine months summer and three months winter, rather than the UK's three months summer and nine months winter.

Here's a good map for checking how it compares

http://www.antipodemap.com/

Move the bottom map by dragging it around till you find NZ then away you go

Quote Originally Posted by petri View Post
    I like these http://www.gaisma.com/en/dir/nz-country.html as they also show the dusk and dawn. Not a big deal in e.g. NZ but over here during the summer they'll last up to two hours each -- on top of the 4am sunrise and 11pm sunset.
    I notice that NZ (though not latitudinally that different from Texas) has significantly longer dusk and dawn light.

I don't see it represented on the chart but I see it in the sky. In Texas, once the sun drops behind the horizon--it will be black very shortly--very little twilight time. In NZ, it seems to take hours.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    I don't see it represented on the chart but I see it in the sky. In Texas, once the sun drops behind the horizon--it will be black very shortly--very little twilight time. In NZ, it seems to take hours.
    It's all about the distance to the equator. Both Texas and NZ are actually pretty close to it compared to Europe. Thank you Mr. Gulf Stream.

Never been to Texas but coming from a country with really long dusk/dawn (Finland is at the same latitude as Alaska), they didn't feel very long in NZ. Not the shortest either but nothing to write home about.